Just been reading different posts on the site and feeling really homesick.

Been  in Canada for 6 weeks now, it is bitterly cold, down to -25 C for the last week, although thankfully not much snow. 

Think I am suffering from S.A.D!!!
Wont be able to get back to France until mid-June and missing our house there so much.

Keep thinking of how the garden must be looking, with all the bulbs out etc.

Miss the markets, walks on the beach, wine and good, fresh food.

Sorry, just had to post.

For all of you still there - enjoy.  You are luckier than you know you are

Val

Hi Val, poor you. [:(]  You didn't say where your house in France is located, but if it is any consolation the weather is really lousy in most parts here. It is definitely so here in the Dordogne, today was a little milder but rain and grey and no sign of bulbs, here at least.

June will be here before you know it and then perhaps we will all be complaining about the heat. [:)]

Hi Val, nice to see you posting, even though you are sad, and homesick.

The weather is peculiarly mild where we are, but there's still plenty of time for a sharp frost which will damage many of the buds which have developed too early. It's a bit of a worry.

Also there are a lot of grey skies here, and rain, rain, rain (which will help to ensure everything is just peachy by the time you get back here.

Tell us something good about Canada, go on, go on, go on.[:)]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]

Tresco - your last post has a dot after your signature which I've just spent 2 minutes trying to clean off my screen...
[/quote]

That's the second time I've done that today. I'm going to edit it out. No, I'll leave it as a warning to others.

I thought it was one of them little midgey like flies walking up me monitor as I scrolled down the page, I have spent 10 minutes trying to lure him off the screen and onto a pansy I bought today. I feel terrible stupid now! It is good of you, Mrs Tresco, to warn others of the dangers of these things happening, and I would like to thank you on behalf of all the other forum users.

Poor Val is still missing her place in France too, I miss me little house too when I'm not there! I wonder if she has seen any bears in Canada yet? Mrs Tresco, Would you ask her if she has seen any bears yet? I'm too shy to ask meself.

[kiss]

Val, have you seen any bears in the 10ft snow drifts you are currently dealing with?

Hey, Mr Nix. [:)] How Charmed I Am!

How are you and tell us everything. It's either that, or I'll make it up for the forum members.[:D][6]

Sorry about the full spot Dotty thing.

Well, you would not believe half of the things that have happened over the last month! I have to go to bed now as I have already got me pyjamas on, and the Josephine one is reading me a story about an enchanted talking Antelope to help me to sleep, so I will tell you the believable half later in the week! I can tell you that dolphins and a goat are involved!

[kiss]

Thanks guys, you really made me laugh.  I knew I could rely on you all.

Thanks for your note Dick.  We are in Manche, our house is in Carentan.  I love it with a passion, never been happier than living there. 

Miss it so much.

So Tresco, you want to know something good about Canada - hang on a minute........, no - nothing!  We are in Nova Scotia, which is on the east coast, a bit like living on some isolated Scottish Island.  Not as cold as the middle of the country, only been around -13 degs for the last couple of weeks.  Not much snow in winter, hot and humid in summer with lots of little black flies that bite.  Thankfully, summer only lasts about  6 weeks.  Wonder if I could get a job with the Canadian Tourist Board!!  Hubby has gone from 7 weeks holiday a year down to 3 weeks, a 35 hour week to 48.  Not a day goes by when he doesn't wish he could put the clock back, and we were back in France.  On paper, his salary has doubled compared to what he was getting in France, but in reality the cost of living and tax is so high here, we are probably worse off.  The food is awful, everything has sugar added to it.  The fruit and veg mostly get sent up from USA, so is either frozen or rotten when it gets here.  Plus - the Canadians have no sense of humour!!!  Because they get so little holiday a year, most of them have never travelled overseas (it is a big story in the news at the moment that they now have to have a passport to travel to USA, as most of them don't have one).  They are so insular, they have no concept of what the rest of the world is like.  Our eldest, who is in her final year of university here, is one of 16 choosen to go to Northern Ireland next week as part of a Canadian delegation to advise them on conflict resolution!!! Talk about teaching your mother to suck eggs!!!    It is really interesting listening to her talk about her experience at university here (which is double the cost of university fees in UK) compared to her time at university in Caen.  She can't wait to graduate in May and get back to France, where she has a job lined up for the summer.

Worst place we've ever lived in - and we've lived in a few!

Furry knickers, there are a few black bears around, a bit like foxes in UK, their natural habit is being wiped out so the poor things have to rely on rubbish bins for food.  We did have a couple of deer in the back garden, eating the few plants I was trying to grow.  A few weeks after we moved into this house, the forest that backed onto our back garden was blown up - literally.  There is now a row of appartments where 60 ft trees grew.  The poor animals now have no where to go.  Planning seems to be non existent here and they give no thought to the environment. 

will keep reading your postings, hopefully that will get me through till June when I can get back.

Thanks again

Val

I also look at the forum to feel closer to my 'house' in France!

It's not habitable so it's a very long term project but it's nice to see so many other people are enjoying their time in France, and of course I pick up lots of useful info along the way.

I'd really like a web cam so I can check it it every week and see what's going on with the weather, wildlife, trees, plants and neighbours (and more importantly their goat!)

Bonne journee Val et al, wherever you are/whatever the weather!  Keep warm and well ...