Does anyone know if they have milk delivery men

in rural Brittany or any kind of delivery van similar to what we have

in villages fish man, bread man, coalman etc. If not will have to be

more organised than I am here.............

Betty B

Don't know about Brittany, but here in Normandy we have a baker and butcher who come around twice a week in their vans.  The baker will pick up anything else you want too if you ask him.  It's a great service, and we always use them.  Would be a shame to see them dissapear. They both cover a large radius, and apart from their annual holiday, never fail to appear.  In fact, our baker was a great help in getting me used to counting in French.  The first few times he appeared I used to hand over a 10 euro note!  After a few weeks, he used to put the total up on his calculator and make me count out the change.  Also a good way of trying something you are not sure of.  He often gives me a free loaf, cake etc. to try, knowing full well I will probably buy the item from him next time he calls. 

I live on the coast in Brittany and the only vans we get are the Barbe Bleu clothing, the frozen food sellers and the 32 tonners selling ironmongery from the catalogues that come round a couple of weeks before. However,when working out in the countryside where there are no shops,just a bar and a few hamlets of houses, we have seen the butcher from a nearby town come round selling his wares but thats all. Most small places have a bar if no shop, that sells bread and a few groceries or else everyone travels to the nearest supermarket.

• 2 weeks later...

On the north coast of Brittany, area 22, we have similar as Val_2. Admittedly our village does have a few shops but those without locally have the same as Val. Although we do get a couple of pizza vans on set evenings in different villages.