Hi,

We love in a small village near Hesdin and I too had to brae a hairdresser. First one was a disaster. My son tried one in Montreuil sur mer and it was great. So I'm off there next time. Its the one next to coq hotel. Let me know how you got on.

Thanks Jane,  Let me know what happens with yours next time. 

I am going to England for a wedding in December so have booked to have my hair cut by my old hairdresser.  I will take photos when he has cut it and show the hairdressers here how I want it done.

Suey

• 1 month later...

Don't worry too much - although there are some dreadful French hairdressers they are mostly very good. The only real complaint about the French ladies is that they tend to be a bit unimaginative, but sometimes that's not a bad thing. Women are perhaps better off than men in that respect - they definitely seem, in general, to have a 'one style fits all' approach to gent's hairdressing. Mind you, one near us seems to have a compulsory red hair dye policy for all women, and not just the hair, but neck, forehead, ears etc...

There is always the alternative English (or Welsh of course) hairdressers, of which there are many, who either travel around or you visit their home. Again some are very good, but others seem to discover this as a way of making a bit of money in France, and advertise their services among the English speaking communities despite having little or no commercial hairdressing training or experience beyond sweeping up in a salon during their teenage years. And all too many of them seem to be working illegally anyway, so unless you know them you are probably better off biting the bullet and going French.

Last time I was coiffed, the blokes in the place getting their hair done, were taking longer than the gals. Had the books out and wanted their hair, just like this or that. Young men preparing/preening  themselves for les fêtes. In fact the hairdressers seemed to take more care over them than the womens' hair. So no 'one cut fits all' in this village, well for the men at least.

[quote user="Fluffy Kitten"]Hah! This is what they did to me!

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/haircut.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

They made a nice job with those 'grey highlights', don't you think........................[Www]

Could be a bit too much information there about Mr CL's grey hair below...

The better of our local hairdressers seems to be able to do the standard male cut in about three minutes total, whereas the women are in there for pretty well the whole morning. I don't think she was the one responsible for the dubious job on the kitten, though we're not talking about far away.

As for style books, well, there are photographs on the wall of George Clooney and some obscure and rather ugly Frenchman off the telly, but they don't seem to be very good at copying either of them.

• 3 months later...