capital gains again

Wilko

[quote user="Wilko"]Hi........I think I read somewhere that the gov are offering a 25% discount on CG in 2014..........or did I dream it ? If anyone can point me in the right direction would be grateful

W[/quote]

Hi,

That is indeed correct, a special abattement of 25%, applied to the net taxable gain, came into force last month for a year - and is almost certain to be extended next year.   Look on "vosdroits" or similar sites.

Parsnips........thanks for the response, I didn't realise anyone had replied, didn't receive an email, so only found this a hour ago. i have searched various government sites but cannot find mention of the 25% abattement. Could you post a link if you have a moment SVP.

Thanks

Wilko

[quote user="Grecian"]OK I am going to show my ignorance here, does the 25% abattement just apply to property sales, or does it also apply to share sales capital gains?

[/quote]

Hi,

Only real estate, but there is now an allowance for shares, linked to the length of time they have been held  - between 2 and 8 years 50%, and over 8 years 65% .  This applies only to the income tax - the CSG is charged on the total gain.   

bourse.lesechos.fr/infos-conseils-boursiers/guide/bourse/la-fiscalite-des-valeurs-mobilieres/plus-values-sur-valeurs-mobilieres-380938.php

Thanks for clearing that up parsnips, I must admit I did a search when I first read the thread and could only find reference to real estate, not shares so I thought that was the case. As for the tapering on share sales I guess it is better than nothing, but only just, and as you stated social charges are still taken from the full gain.