I did post this in the travel section but no replies, so thought I'd try here. I wondered if anyone has done the trip from Normany to Orly airport, and if so, how easy it was, especially if travelling by train?  I know we will have to go to St Lazare and then change, but not sure what it's like getting from train to airport at Orly.  Would it be easier to hire a car?

Normandy's a big place, with several rail lines to Paris. The best way to Orly from central Paris is by bus. You can get there by train but it seems rather complicated. There are Air France buses from various places, including, I believe, Montparnasse station. Or there is Orlybus that you pick up from the metro/RER station at Denfert-Rocherau, and apparently another, faster, bus from Villejuif-Louis Aragon metro station (on Line 7, I read in my book - though another guide fails to mention it so it may not be running any more). I would personally go for Orlybus.

As I remember from some checking a loooooong time ago, the train from Villedieu LP goes to Montparnasse 3, bus to airport from there seems reasonable. There was a thread on here some time ago (years?) which mentioned exactly where the bus stop at Montparnasse is.

In the end I went by hire car - it seemed easier.

Depending on which station you come into, take metro line 6 to Denfert Rochereau and pick up the Orlybus, or line 7 to Villejuif-Louis Aragon and pick up the 285 or the jetbus (jetbus doesn't run weekends and holidays, is more expensive than the 285 service bus, but does the journey in about 10 minutes as opposed to 15-20 mins on the 285).

Mary