Should i wait for the spring? Buying house in the 78 (yvelines)

Hello everyone,

My husband and i have lived in paris for the last two years and have decided to try and buy a house with land from between 300k-350k

I was wondering if anyone thought waiting for spring would bring more or less properties to the market (for that price range)

Also if anyone knows any good mortage brokers or estate agents for this area i would be glad to have the details.

kindest regards

Jay

It is always best to look in inclement weather and with less buyers about a bargain may be had. If you are really lucky there may be some houses that have been on the market for some time and a sale is badly needed.

"..... you've also got Croydon (also known as St Quentin en Yvelines),..."

[:D] Your comment reminds me of when we were first househunting. We arrived at one immobilier (where we supposedly had an appointment), but they (two English guys - yes I know, ignorance is bliss!) were more interested in an English couple (imagine your worst nightmare Brit) who were looking through their books. One property was flagged up, and the agent mentioned it was semi-detached. "Good God, if we wanted semi-detached we could have moved to Croydon"  was the man's response!

At this point I lost my will to live and certainly to use that particular immo!!!

We have just bought in 78 (Maisons Laffitte) & are siging the AdV in about 3 weeks.  After looking around for the last 6-9 months I could see no real price changes so that shouldn't affect your timing.  As for the spring, I would say that yes, there could well be more - the place that we got was originally put on the market in Aug which the Immobilier advised against as 'the French dont buy in the Summer' .... they kept it on the market & dropped the price & we got out offer accepted end of Nov.  Try www.pap.fr as well as an agent - this is the site for people selling without an agent.  After doing this for the first time through an agent I really cant see where they earned their hefty commission.  Best of luck ....

... sorry, meant to add, we looked around for mortgages & found the best offer, for us, through International Private Finance Ltd - they act as a broker for BNPParibas (perhaps others, dont know) - great service - ask for Monica de Ronde as she handled our application etc. brilliantly.  They got us a better mortgage than my own bank here, CIC. 

JP

• 4 weeks later...
I thankyou all Beaucoup!

I am sorry for my late reply but i have had troubles logging in!   Graciously fix by the kind moderators of this site!

I truely have hated to be that fly by nighter who never response to good advice so mille fois merci!

Since this post i have been searching for a property to buy and have had a 110% loan granted.   but i will start a new thread to explain the new perdicament!

Merci beaucoup

Jay