Hi - we are looking to move to the Normandy region a.s.a.p. ie as soon as we have sold our house which  is curently on the market.  We are bikers and hope to be able to offer B & B specifically for this strange breed once we find the right place.  We are hoping to visit Normandy in the next month  to have a  good look around but wondered if anybody can shed light on a few points we are not too sure about in the meantime

With regard to cars and bikes is there any restriction on how many you can bring into the country when you move.  We currently have two cars plus a renovation project together with two motorbikes.  Can we just bring them in (on a trailer - the resto  project one I mean) and drive in the others .  Also do we have to have any documentation for them other than Car Tax, Insurance and reg. docs.

Also  - can we bring in plants  such as houseplants and garden plants or not?

I know we sound thick - but have scoured all sorts of publications and can't get the info in plain English

On one other point - re: the health system I know some illnesses and conditions qualify for 100% re-imbursement but does anyone know where we could get a complete list.  Igor is steroid dependant due to having Colitis for many years and it would be helpful to know if his medication would be subsidised.  Not wishing to scrounge off the state but at least we would know how much we needed to budget for healthcare costs.

Finally - if any of you reading this are bikers maybe we could meet up when we come to Normandy in the next few weeks to swap ideas and info

That was a bit sharp, but because many people living here may now have to pay for all their own healthcare, it's probably the thing to put at the top of your list of things to consider.  Importing bikes and cars may seem a minimum hassle in comparison.

Income from Gites and B&Bs won't qualify you to enter into the CMU.  However, I believe if you register them as a business and pay all the French taxes and other contributions (cotisations), then you can take advantage of the French healthcare system.  But it is expensive.  Those on here with such businesses quote figures of around 50% of income so you could be less well off than you might imagine.

If you look at the FAQs at the top of the Driving in France board, Sunday Driver has done a comprehensive list of what documents you will need/what you need to do, to re-register vehicles.

In fact, C&I, it is just those people who will be in the worst position if the changes happen.  If the UK deems you to be "disabled" or "unfit for work", then you may qualify for an E121, whereby you can enter the CMU system.  The poor people who have chronic conditions but cannot get E121s are unlikely to be covered here and, to add insult to injury, few companies will insure them.  A first step then would be to find out from the authorities in the UK, if the conditions would qualify for an E121. 

It will be time consuming and you'll have to wade through a lot of conjecture and speculation, but I would take the time to read the contributions to this new board

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1347/ShowForum.aspx

as there are a few posters in your position, as you'll see!

Thanks Cooperlola we wouldnt be looking for an E121.  Rather an E106 which as I understand it would give us up to two years cover albeit with us paying for top up insurance.  As both of us and fit and only 50 we would be retiring early and not as oap's or unfit for work.  We will be fully self-supporting (not via a b and b income) that would be a little added extra. 

You have it right.  However, it may in fact be that if you register you b&b as a business, it may turn out to be a cheaper way to get insured, once your E106's run out. Just a thought... Because once they've expired then, from what you say, it would be full private healthcare or nothing, if the rules change and pre-existing conditions would be likely to be excluded. 

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Read this

http://www.connexionfrance.com/expatriate-news-article.php?art=35

It could be very important to you.

[/quote]

Thanks cooperlola!   So, this article basically spells it out....   if you're under the age of 62, you will have no health care coverage unless you can afford private health insurance.  And, if you leave the UK you're buggard because the NHS won't be possible either....   Bummer!

[quote user="jane"]if you haven't purchased in normandy yet, then you would do well to make yourself aware of the areas which may be affected by the proposed high voltage power lines.

jane[/quote]

Hi Jane,

Can you provide any further information on the proposed high voltage power lines?  Links to information?

Cheers!

Richard

Thread re power lines http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/998583/ShowPost.aspx

I assume that you have also read the posts this morning, which pretty much confirm that, post E106, you would need full private health insurance.  Your existing conditions may well be un-coverable (if that's a word) so related costs would have to be paid for, by the looks of it.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Thread re power lines http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/998583/ShowPost.aspx

I assume that you have also read the posts this morning, which pretty much confirm that, post E106, you would need full private health insurance.  Your existing conditions may well be un-coverable (if that's a word) so related costs would have to be paid for, by the looks of it.

[/quote]

Yes, everything I am reading so far has completely destroyed our desires/dreams of moving to France on an early retirement opportunity.   I'm sure the full health care insurance costs are going to be exorbitant; another opportunity for the insurance companies to take advantage of a bad situation.

What ever happened to the EU understanding that everyone was covered under some sort of health care provision regardless of country, as long as you were a citizen of the member states?   This seems like a way to "keep the Brits out".... 

Rolney, on a specific point, the average cost of full cover for the two of us (52 and 59) would be around 400 - 500 euros a month, depending on the level of cover/excesses etc.  Factor into this the 8% of your worldwide income, less allowances, which you would have contributed to the CMU, and your top-up health cover which you would no doubt have had anyway, and  a couple on a pension of aroun £20k a year would find themselves about 200 euros a month worse off.  And existing conditions would not be covered.  Food for thought, certainly. 

At least you have not made your move.  I have friends here who  moved here (he is diabetic) 20 months ago.  They are going to be very severly hit by this.  It is those people whom I have the most sympathy for.  It is going to be extremely tough for some.

My dearly beloved is insulin dependent diabetic as well.....   If it were not for the NHS we could not afford to own a home due to the cost of the insulin; c£560 pcm.   Thus, the reason why we can not look to retire to France, despite the fact that we have worked hard for >35 years to be able to retire at an age where we can enjoy retirement.   

Anyone got an extra pin that I can use to burst this balloon???   [:(]

Thinking of starting B&B  for bikers?

If you expect to rely on it to survive you'd best check the market. There are a lot of folks offering the same service to what is becoming a limited marktet, and no, although I'm a biker I'm not running gites or B&B but I know lots of folks who are and they always seem to be moaning that there's not been a lot of business around for the last few years;

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all of you who have replied to our questions.  After very careful thought we have decided that moving to france is not an option, Due to igor's health and need for medication, together with the changes to the french system.  We are devastated as we have loved France forever and have been working hard to ensure we could move there.  Anway C'est la vie!   Good luck to everyone who has already put in place their move.  We are moving to Scotland instead!  They have a good healthcare system and reasonably cheap land and lots of hills and twisties.