Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Avranches for Sunday lunch, please.  We are going to be passing through briefly and would like to have a nice lunch rather than just go to a Buffalo Grill or something.  Something traditional would be good - about 25 euros.  I've looked on various websites, but some give prices and no menu and some give menu and no price!  Others are just addresses and phone numbers.  I e.mailed one a few weeks ago, but I've had no reply.  Failing this, I seem to have seen someone mention a good seafood restaurant overlooking the bay of Mont St Michel.  That should be quite close.  Does anyone know anywhere around that area?  I really would prefer to be able to see a menu, see the price and then telephone to book.  We aren't in the habit of going for meals at lunchtime in France as normally we are on holiday and grabbing a casse croute while sightseeing, then cooking or going out for meals in the evening.  I thought that Sunday lunch was quite busy with French families, which is why I thought we should phone to make a reservation.

Thanks

Thanks for the information.  The one at Ducey looks possible - it's quite close.  The crab pie looks good!  If we don't go there, we can always try out the recipes on their website!  Unfortunately, we won't have time to go as far as Granville. Somewhere in the town would be good though.  The lower price at the Croix d'or would be OK but some of the menus are really special occasion prices.  There is so much variation and sometimes it's not worth the difference.  There is a restaurant we like in Calais, but we have discovered that the only real difference between the 18 euro and the 27 euro menu is 2 oysters and possibly a langoustine.

Try Le Littre in Place Littre in Avranches- always really excellent as is the Croix D'or. If not try L'Archerie just outside Villedieu, Moulin de Jean ( although slightly more expensive) in Cuves or Auberge du Terroir in Servon. If you want a really " French " experience and like grilled meat at a budget price try Chez Francois in Genets ( not gourmet food but definitely worth trying just for the experience)

Bon Appetit!!

Keith

You're absolutely right Keith!  It's one of those word blindness things - I've eaten there SO many times and have always seen Le LittrY written on the sign - obviously getting confused with Le Molay-Littry!  Anyway, as you say, food is great and the Mon-Friday lunch menu is excellent value for money.  If you go there Jill, ask to be seated in the restaurant behind the bar, rather than the one to the right of the bar or in the bar itself, the back room is just so cosy and what a lot of people would think of when they think of a typically French brasserie/restaurant.

Unfortunately, I've just noticed that they're closed on Sundays!

Thanks.  It was Sunday when we were over there and I finally chose a restaurant from what I could find on the internet and we found it very good.  It is le Tripot on rue Tripot.  They have 2 levels of menu - one from the blackboard and one from the a la carte menu.  They call it Cuisine recreative.  It is nouvelle cuisine, but very much based on traditional French but with a bit of a twist to it - a sort of oriental twist you can't quite pinpoint.  It was a delicious meal, anyway.  We just had a starter and main course as we couldn't manage a dessert, but they looked really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Oscar, as a fellow fan of Le Littre do you have any other good restaurant recommendations near Avranches? Have you ever tried Le Moulin de Beauchamps?  A few people have mentioned it to me but we have never got around to trying it. We're coming over next weekend and always on the look out for good/ fun places to eat.  We appreciate good food but not necessarily after the fully gourmet experience every time! Our house is in Tirepied so anywhere within 45 minutes or so.

thanks

Keith 

I very much like the bistro type place on the roundabout at St Lo and if you want to trade up then the restaurant is literally upstairs.

Again the Auberge at the Abbey at Hambye then I am informed that Les Gourmets at Percy and which has opened under new proprietors is now up and coming but I have not been there!

This information is based upon knowledge gained when we lived in Normandie that being until the 7th of December last year.  Now in the Vendee.

I too had forgotten L'Archerie just down the lane from the President butter factory in Villedieu.  It is truly Normande in concept and one that I would recommend.  Come to think of it I do not suppose you can better La Fruitiere in Villedieu and which has been in the same family for donkeys.

Haven't tried Le Moulin Keith but I've been told it's good.  As Dragonrouge says, Manoir de lL'Acherie at St Cecile is good.  The other good place is Auberge du Mesnil Rogues, near Gavray.  Now in the hands of a Welsh chef with French lady front of house.  Has a pub attached, but don't let that put you off, he's running the place in a very French way.

If you want something really special near Avranches then try this one: http://www.le-gue-du-holme.com/index.htm. The web site's a bit out of date, and it's seriously expensive, but well worth it.

And of course, it's not too far from Moulin de Jean - Novelli's place that he sold to his star trainee chef, who's still there. The food is top quality and amazing value, though the drinks can be expensive. http://www.lemoulindejean.com/

[quote user="dragonrouge"]Come to think of it I do not suppose you can better La Fruitiere in Villedieu and which has been in the same family for donkeys.[/quote]

we ate there, admittedly only once, and i thought it was dull. maybe it was a bad day, but i was very surprised that several different dishes were served with exactly the same accompaniments. i have no inclination to go there again.

jane

Jane its entirely a personal thing for its where we spent the night before we bought our then house in Normandie.  I would go back there time and time again.

However its personal as I say.

Living in the Vendee we go as much as possible to Niort and there are some wonderful restaurants around.  But go for that very very special occasion to La Rochelle to the Clemenceau family who run that wonderful restaurant overlooking the sea. It is truly wonderful but better had be at 85 euros for the set menu and for turbot is about 45 euros.