New retrospective Tax on certain types of savings being debated

Aly

When these ideas are floated, Nick, it is to see if they might be acceptable, flying a kite if you like. This one is a classic case. The next thing will be some stoopid left of centre MP saying that people with these savings should be paying more tax, or a discreet hint by the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

And, yes, it would be retroactive, just like the French, which is in itself immoral. And given that the money thus no longer in ISAs had not been taxed, the thieving tarts at the Revenue and Customs will be along for their share. Ooops, just like the French!

Yes, ifs and buts so far, but in my view there is no smoke without fire when it comes to original ways to rip off the thrifty.

Yes I agree wooly; but the way you represented it at first was as though it was set in stone, The French have come up with a very "French" idea, totally barmy, but that's not unusual. I can't see the British public standing for that in any way shape or form. Funnily enough I'm surprised that the French haven't already set light to local supermarkets and British lorries, but it seems that they are rolling over and accepting an abominable situation. Funny old game Saint ain it?

There are local elections next year; I suspect that the French will take their revenge on Mr Hollande and his band of incompetents then. One just has to hope that the FN dont get too many protest votes, though talking to people round about, their ideas are making headway.

But, then, I have been surprised by the number of intelligent Brits who seem attracted by UKIP

At the last general election, the NF were in SECOND place in our commune![:-))]

I didn't have a vote of course, but I will do in the municipal and European elections next year.  Hélas, our lovely mayor is retiring and won't be standing...if he represented whatever loony faction, I'd still have voted for him.

Will never forget how he screeched up in his car the day my OH was taken ill and he was seconds on the scene behind the pompiers and BEFORE the doctor.

So, do you think personalities (and I don't want to use that word) might count?

[quote user="Lehaut"]"NormanH" I wonder how much this will affect posters here? Are there many people who hold French savings accounts from this far back? These are the rates that are being raised: pour un placement réalisé en 1990, les

gains obtenus entre 1990 et 1995 étaient jusqu'à présent taxés à 0 %, puis à 0,5 % à partir de 1996 et à 3,9 % en 1997, avant de passer à 9,5 %

entre 1998 et 2004

Is your understanding that the retrospective charges increase with be only on those "placements" done in 1990 or from 1990 until 2004 (suppose thats the 8 year anniversary for the PEA?)[/quote]

Sorry didn't see this before amidst all the thread drift..

I thought but am not at all sure, that each and all of these old rates were now being raised to 15.5% retrospectively for the period since 1990 previouly taxed at various lower rates:

for example from 1996 until 1997 it was at 0.5 and from 1997 it was raised to 3.9 then 9.5 from 1998

So all are now raised to 15.5...

But I am open to cerrection..[:)]