URGENT - Cat from Normandy found wandering in Milton Keynes!

RSPCA - official (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) We are searching for the owners of a French cat who has turned up in a Buckinghamshire village. He was seen wandering around Cosgrove, Milton Keynes and had a French micro-chip registered to an address in Normandy! Unless a local owner can be found, with the appropriate vaccination certificates and pet passport, the feline will have to go into quarantine for six months before he can be re-homed.

We really hope that this appeal will ring a bell with someone. Anyone with any information about this cat should call our local branch office on 01908 611179

He's a beautiful big, fluffy ginger and white boy - anybody in Normandy know anyone who has recently taken such a cat to the UK?

Have you tried calling the owners in France (just in case he was a stowaway) or the vets in that locality in France as it is likely that they could know what has happened, our french vet kept good records.

I must say that our cat still has his french micro chip, seems no point in changing it and yet he came across quite legally and we have been back almost three years now. And he did go missing once.

I find most of my french phone numbers on this web page.

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pagesblanches

I can not believe that we get our animals chipped and that the animals owner is not on some register somewhere, I expect if it were to have had rabis and bit someone there would be a way they would have traced the owner? I have 2 dogs both chipped and if they went missing I would hope to god to get a call saying they had been found, MAN it realy makes me mad.

I hope they find the owner someone is panicing some where.

Fair play to you for putting an alert on here to find the owner.

SORRY, have just reread the post and see an address in Normandy was registered, but not in the UK, I assume a note has been posted To that address on account the owners return to France within the next 6 months?

I have never moved an animal across the Channel, so do not know the processes involved on arrival in UK, but would an animal's microchip not be scanned at point of entry? And would you not have to say where you were taking the animal to in the UK?

If so, there may be a record there if the RSPCA got in touch with DEFRA or whoever.

Somebody must look at documents in the UK, otherwise why all that desperate last-minute stuff about making vet's appointment and getting certification before leaving France?

Angela

Hi Angela!

I suggested to the RSPCA that they get in touch with DEFRA for that very reason - I am sure the chip number would link to a Pet Passport and more info, including when and/or whether he arrived legally.

It seems they know the cat is called Tommy,and the owners have a British-sounding name, but he's been wandering about Cosgrove for four years now...

As I've been typing this, the story of Tommy has just been broadcast on the Chris Evans Radio 2 show!

...he's been wandering about Cosgrove for four years now...

END QUOTE

Hi Faye!

Four YEARS! Well, it doesn't seem to be worth the authorities worrying about rabies then. If he was going to develop it, he would have surely done so by now.

Poor thing, in this cold. But cats are pretty good at feeding themselves, and at finding a corner in which to keep warm.

Angela