Britts leaving France in great numbers?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="just john "]

I think everyone's entitled to a few 'if only's'[/quote]I agree.  However, "few" is the operative word here!  A world of difference between that and a lifetime of regret.

Anyway, enough already about the old dragon, I visit the forum for a bit of fun and "intelligent" conversation,thank you.[:)]  And yes, I know I brought the subject up but it does sum up the way I feel about life - don't waste it thinking about the things you never did.

Wise words Coops - but it does depend on your nature. Either you're a "glass half full " person or a "glass half empty" person. (I'm not sure which is the pessimist and which is the optimist?)[;-)]

But I think the category who really do have to be realistic before they move to France is the young family. Personally, when our family were young, I wouldn't have made such a move without a definite job to go to.

[quote user="Patf"].But I think the category who really do have to be realistic before they move to France is the young family. Personally, when our family were young, I wouldn't have made such a move without a definite job to go to.
[/quote]I don't mean rush into everything without considering the consequences, merely that it's pointless spending time regretting the things you didn't do, for whatever reason - good or bad.

Alan and I are keeping it a secret, JJ.  Don't want any old Tom, Dick and Harriet joining in now do we?[;-)]

Reading through these posts and going back to the original comment - are Brits leaving France in great numbers?   Well yes, I think  they are or, at least, if not great numbers then a surprising number of people who came here with high hopes and expectations are going back to the UK.  The reasons are often easy to understand and no great soul searching seems to have been involved before the decision is made:  many people find that their pensions arejust not providing the standard of life that they hoped for a few years ago.  This is due in  most part to the exchange rates and the increase (here as well as in the UK) in the cost of living and almost every item over the years. They just can't get by on the funds that they have. and they are worried about any savings.  Then there are the other understandable reasons, problems with the language, finding work, unhappy school children, social isolation, missing family members.  These seem to be the most quoted and reported reasons.  If you don't feel that there has been quite an exodus over the last couple of years, just ask anyone running an animal refuge and hear how many dogs and cats have been handed in, and need re-homing, how many dogs have actually been left in the docks at ferry terminals, how many animals have been found in abandoned houses, or in the gardens of owners who have moved and, without pet passports, just left their animals behind.  Only a year ago our local Maire was saying that it was becoming much easier to get a nice horse for next to nothing as English owners wereoften  unable to move back to England without the outdoor space which they had taken for granted in the French countryside. Chickens, geese, goats, donkeys too, regularly advertised as free on many forums.

Some people are possibly relieved to make the decision and go back to where they started from.  It shouldn't in any way be seen as a failure since everyone's reasons are different and should not have to be justified either in daily conversation or on forums like this. I learned as long as 10 years ago in France to be less open and a bit more circumspect with my answers to the question most asked of me by French and English alike : "why did you come to France?" and "why didn't you want to stay in England?"   Talk about going where angels fear to tread.  In my experience, dealing with those questions is the easiest way to offend anyone and the British seem to be the very best at rising up as one in taking offence and wanting to defend any small criticism, implied or direct, of life in good old Blighty!  Simply asking anyone to accept that we are living in France because we prefer to live there rather than anywhere else, often invites a fair amount of sniping, unreasonable demands for explanations and,clearly, the hope for not so much a debate but a good old argument. So, won't do that any more.  We'll stay as long as we like where we are and we are happy, and then we'll move - up, down, sideways, near, far or wherever. We are all different and what makes me happy would probably drive the next person into a loop. We need to embrace and respect those differences and, speaking for myself, as long as I don't have to stand by and watch someone do something in their lives which is obviously suicidal or dangerous, I try not to feel the need to ask for justification and explanations from anyone else regarding what they want to do with their own life.  Their life, their business and not mine. 

Definitely need to try to keep those glasses half full,  for as Woody Allen famously said "Life is Hard............and Then You Die !!"

At least we never got asked why we were there and taking jobs from french people.

We often used to be asked 'why' and some bright sparks would answer their own question and say that they knew that we had moved to France because everything in France was superieur. And people in England ask why on earth we have moved back. We remain uninfluenced by others and do as we please.

With the exception of food, which seems to be a totally over-blown national obsession, I have not encountered problems with a French supriority complex in my village. But I chose Allier in central France based more on the character of the people than anything else. I got on with them from day one, even though, apart from learning the language, I don't try to be "French" - they would think that false, anyway. I accept them for who they are, and vice versa. It just doesn't seem to be an issue.

I can't speak for the rest of France as I have only holidayed in other parts of the country.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]If it's all the same to you, Coops, athough I agree with the Tom and Dick exclusions, I'd like to reserve judgement about Harriet, at least until I've seen a photo.[/quote]And I really should have a closer look at D.... Oh, no, perhaps better not go there.[:-))]

Well certainly some interesting replies to my question,

And in the words of cooperlola.... 

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake."

And untill I become one of them noisy b*ggers in my Mustang, I for one have no intentions of selling up and moving lock stock and barrel back to the UK.

But then I have not managed to move out to France permanently yet anyway, I just hope I finish the rebuilt on the old place before I get bored and change my mind in that I want to move.

Chris.

As someone on the verge of moving out to France with my family, I was fascinated by this thread and found the variety of opinion and experience in the posts very interesting indeed.

Surely what is common to all who make the move to France is that they do something different from the norm and well out of the average person's comfort zone. They are brave and take a risk, and whether or not they stay in France or return to the UK, whether they love it, hate it or somewhere in between, they are or will all be richer for the experience. They will never have to ask themselves the question 'What if?'. They will never regret what they didn't do. They all deserve a pat on the back in my book!

We have done as much research into as many areas which will influence our move and a life in France (not least with the help of the great people on this forum). This has completely removed any rose tint from any spectacles I might have, and my eyes are as wide open as they could be, but until we 'walk our talk' we cannot know how it will go.

What I do know is that through good fortune and hard work we as a family have an opportunity, before we get too old, to do something different with our lives. We'll do our best to enjoy it and make it successful. We know that there will be very challenging times and it often won't be easy. We will be realistic and we will change the plan if we cannot make it work, but we are going for it wholeheartedly.

Whether the move ultimately is successful or not, I am sure we will never regret it, but instead we will take the experience with us and congratulate ourselves that like many on this forum we did it and were brave enough to do so.

I wish you all the best in your adventure and hope that your move goes as smoothly as possible.

We arrived last night to breathe the fresh air, listen to the night sounds and soak up the tranquillity. This morning the woodburner is toasty and the coffee bubbling on the woodburner....bliss.

I wish you many moments like these.

Couldn't agree with the Doc more. 

I have been reading all the posts on this thread, very interesting.  I could see that a lot of people going home might be down to the fact heir pensions value has been cut by a third because of the exchange rate and then there is the huge inflation over the past few of years.  I remember holidaying in Greece and spending £200 in a week, within two years you were lucky to come home with change out of £500, now god only knows how much things would cost.

I am taking a huge risk giving up a successful business and a home we have had for best part of 20 years that we have only just go as we want it.  The other options?  To stay here safe and sound to get to an old age if the stress doesn't kill me 1st and regret not using my life for adventure and discovery.

Remember to put the tin bath on the back of the waggon.

Someone jokingly said as I set off from England a few years ago with a trailer piled high with possessions that the only thing my "waggon" lacked was the tin bath. I proudly lifted the cover to reveal a large (admittedly plastic) tub.

Waggons ro-ll. Yee haa!

I must disagree with the bit that Daft Doctor said about "being too old".

We didn't come out till OH was 76 (at that stage I put my foot down about retirement at his age) and now he will be 80 soon and we have just moved to our second French home.

Depends on your view of things.  As far as we are concerned, it's when you are getting on a bit that you need to do things you want to do because the time you have left to do them is going to be more limited than for a younger person.

Less of this ageism, please!

No offence meant, but then again I was just referring to my own situation. If it floats your boat at any age to make such a move then do it of course. I merely meant that as a keen skier, climber. cyclist and walker, it is much easier for me to make the most of the opportunity whilst relatively young and (touch wood) fit and healthy.

Certainly no ageism intended!

Sorry if you feel discriminated against Sweet.  The way I feel on a daily basis I very much doubt I will get to your age, or even retirement age.  I have a few friends that have dropped dead of heart attacks at my sort of age, I don't want to be another one of them, I want to move somewhere I will have no choice but to slow down a bit.

Hey, Daft Doc and Crossy

Of course I wasn't offended.  Just my way of putting a point across and a mock protest to raise a laugh.

DD, I too am a bit of an action person and I just love the French countryside.  In fact, I saw lots of cyclists out today and I am itching to get my bike out of storage.

Crossy, don't worry, about the move.  It's no point worrying now that you have made your decision.  BTW, if it's easier to just get the removal bods to do your move, just let them.  In the grand scale of things, the cost (in the context to that for the whole exercise, buying, selling, etc), it's negligible.

Not much fun loading van, driving, driving, driving, unloading van, driving, driving, driving, etc. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Crossy, don't worry, about the move.  It's no point worrying now that you have made your decision.  BTW, if it's easier to just get the removal bods to do your move, just let them.  In the grand scale of things, the cost (in the context to that for the whole exercise, buying, selling, etc), it's negligible.

Not much fun loading van, driving, driving, driving, unloading van, driving, driving, driving, etc. 

[/quote]

And hard work, whatever age you are.  In the last 5 years we have had three removals - 2 from UK - one part of house contents, second the rest, and last year from one French house to the next.  It was only for the last move that we moved all the boxes ourselves - leaving only the larger furniture we could not move or lift ourselves for the removers (we only moved 20 mins drive away.) .  The first two were dedicated for us and not part loads so consequently expensive, but the third was not cheap.  But still better than an hernia or some such.

In the great scheme of things the removal costs are peanuts.