Jan and I are hoping to move to Normandy soon. Jan is an artist and also is skillful in crafts. We would want to sell her work. Are there any recommendations for fairs, fetes, exhibitions etc where people spend money?

Any help gratefully appreciated. Regards, Pete

Has Jan decided how she will register? I ask that because as I understand it - which is only what I've gathered from other people, not being an artist myself - a lot of the 'arty' exhibitions insist on exhibitors being registered with the Maison des Artistes. Which seems a somewhat complex regime. On the other hand, you can register under the auto entrepreneur regime which is very simple and would allow you to sell items, up to a specified annual income ceiling.

Sorry I realise that doesn't answer your question - I'm sure there are loads but two places that immediately spring to mind round here for art/craft type events are Lisieux and Saint Pierre sur Dives, and a bit further afield Conches en Ouche, so maybe start by checking out their municipal websites if you haven't already?

Registering through the maison des artistes may seem complicated compared with the autoentrepreneur system, but there are benefits aside from being able to legally exhibit and sell your work. The cotisation regime seems more favourable, and, if the experience of an artist friend is anything to go by, you can claim certain state benefits to support you as long as the value of your sales falls under a (fairly generous) maximum figure.

Many thanks. I will follow the threads through. It seems that the Maison Des Artistes could be worthwhile. I had heard that artists in France can get favourable treatment for tax etc. Something about valuing culture - Something the UK could learn from!!!!