Can anyone recommend a decent camp site with showers, preferably within walking distance of a local hostelry, and which would be willing to open its doors to a group of approximately 20 in November 2014?

Ideally it should be reasonably close to Thiepval and the Commonwealth Cemeteries to the East of Albert, but no further South than Ribemont-Sur-Ancre.

Many thanks.

We take a group to camp sites there the second week of every September, most of the camp sites close mid or at the latest the end of October and I think that it may be an arrêt municipal to stop people living there or on their terrains de loisirs all year round, if thats the case then you are probably stuffed, I will send you a PM with some links to sites that I know of.

I should add that the sites we have stayed at seem very put out to have to accept guests even in early September and thats for a group twice your size, they begrudgingly come and open the gate the first morning and thats all you will see of them, they have a mobile but wont answer it, they locked us all out one evening at 18.30, bit naughty really as 90% of the group are adolescents and still classed as children, all the food and cooking gear was inside and we were locked outside.

PM coming to you.

Thank you.

As this will be a group of ex-servicemen, and the Centenary year marking the start of WWI, I would have thought there would be facilities in place throughout the year to cater for visitors.

I don't think they'd take kindly to being locked in or out for that matter! There again, I don't think a locked gate and a jobsworth would present too much of a problem!

I'll look forward to receiving your PM.

Sadly they dont consider that WW1 started until 1916, they have started planning but the wheels turn slowly.....................

They have launched an appeal for projects which means that after one year of deliberations they still havnt come up with any ideas themselves [:(]

They have at least chosen a name - "2016, Le temps de souvenir: a la recontre de........."

Thanks for the idea of the Ibis Angela.

The logistics of the event suggest a few nights 'roughing it' would be a more sensible option. All being well, it now looks very likely that an offer of alternative accommodation has been made available.

Thanks for the help. 

I wnder if there's any kind of "gite d'étape" in the area? That would cater for a group.

This sort of thing:

http://www.somme-tourisme.com/cdt80/liens/listings_srit/les_gites_de_groupes_gites_de_france_dans_la_somme_gite_d_etape_gite_d_enfant_gite_de_sejour

Or try the Gites de France website for gites d'etape.

Angela

• 3 months later...

Chancer,

We stayed at a nice (at least we thought so) campsite called Domaine de Drancourt near St Valery using Eurocamp early last September, but as you say, a lot of sites close by the second or third week in September. The odd thing about Drancourt was that you had to get a camp 'credit card' to buy anything in the shop, bar, or restaurant. No cash accepted. We found out that we quickly used the euros we put on the card and kept having to get more put on it. Fortunately, they refunded any money left on the card when we went home.

David