[quote user="Théière"]Well as I see it it's Europes fault for expanding the EU membership to countries outside of the real Europe and into the eastern block. [/quote]

Unless you're widening the thread to the general subject of migration to the UK, I fail to see how countries which have acquired EU membership come in to the Calais equation.

Whilst there may be the odd person from the EU amongst those at Calais, the vast majority are essentially 'non-papiers' from further afield. 

Any EU citizen doesn't have to pay €000's to a trafficking criminal to get them from wherever they've come from to the UK border or undergo a perilous journey under their own steam.  They can simply buy a Ryanair ticket and fetch up in the UK perfectly legitimately................. like those of us who have migrated to France !!

The question of how they then enter the UK health and benefits system (either through legitimate paid employment or by their own state providing an S1 - doubt that that happens very often!) is quite another matter and to my mind is more a fault of the UK's processes and systems not addressing the changed social order. 

So, the Calais problem isn't the EU's fault, nor the UK's, nor France's: but it is their problem to resolve, although goodness knows how.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="Théière"]Well as I see it it's Europes fault for expanding the EU membership to countries outside of the real Europe and into the eastern block. [/quote]

Unless you're widening the thread to the general subject of migration to the UK, I fail to see how countries which have acquired EU membership come in to the Calais equation.

Whilst there may be the odd person from the EU amongst those at Calais, the vast majority are essentially 'non-papiers' from further afield. 

Any EU citizen doesn't have to pay €000's to a trafficking criminal to get them from wherever they've come from to the UK border or undergo a perilous journey under their own steam.  They can simply buy a Ryanair ticket and fetch up in the UK perfectly legitimately................. like those of us who have migrated to France !!

The question of how they then enter the UK health and benefits system (either through legitimate paid employment or by their own state providing an S1 - doubt that that happens very often!) is quite another matter and to my mind is more a fault of the UK's processes and systems not addressing the changed social order. 

So, the Calais problem isn't the EU's fault, nor the UK's, nor France's: but it is their problem to resolve, although goodness knows how.

[/quote]

Point taken

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-29063132

I heard the woman on the radio earlier - it sounded quite reasonable that she hadn't seen the young man, as she's had the back seats down to give the dogs more space and he'd been hiding under those. I couldn't understand why the dogs didn't bark. - nor do I understand why I have that gobble de gook under this!

[quote user="gardengirl "]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-29063132

I heard the woman on the radio earlier - it sounded quite reasonable that she hadn't seen the young man, as she's had the back seats down to give the dogs more space and he'd been hiding under those. I couldn't understand why the dogs didn't bark. - nor do I understand why I have that gobble de gook under this!

[/quote]

Well, GG, if YOU don't know why you spout gobble de gook, please don't expect us to understand it either[:D][:P]

As for the illegal immigrants, I understand that the mayor of Calais has said that she wants Cameron to go to her town and tell them that Britain is no El Dorado and she reckons that they will then go back to their homes.

She contends that the UK welfare and immigration systems are "soft" and I suppose that she does have a point because I have read elsewhere that the UK has "lost" 150,000 illegals!

Then there is that about Norman's barrel................if you don't help him get rid of his squatters, his barrel would soon be full and the squatters might get it into their heads to take up residence in your place instead?

[quote user="mint"]

Then there is that about Norman's barrel................if you don't help him get rid of his squatters, his barrel would soon be full and the squatters might get it into their heads to take up residence in your place instead?

[/quote]

But if you've already got a garden full of your own squatters, what are you supposed to do to help Norman?

Heard something on the radio as I was driving this afternoon where someone (and I know not who, as I was not listening intently) in authority was saying that this is an EU problem, and should be addressed as such by the EU as a whole, and also that Italy should be tackling the problem more effectively, as it is through Italy that a large percentage of these illegals first enter the EU.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Where'dya C&P that from, NickP? The BNP website, or BritainFirst?[/quote]

Not at all Betty; I'm only interested in English things now all the British crap has gone out of the window just waiting now for independence for Surrey and the home counties. [:D][:D][:D]

I don't know if it's just me, but my post has disappeared.

Who mentioned racism? Or have I lost another post?

And how can anyone "show" you stuff?

And is that really some people's definition of a joke? I really thought that sort of "joke" died out with Bernard Manning.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]Where'dya C&P that from, NickP? The BNP website, or BritainFirst?[/quote]

Not at all Betty; I'm only interested in English things now all the British crap has gone out of the window just waiting now for independence for Surrey and the home counties. [:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

I had the impression that that has been the case for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...
My BIL runs the gauntlet of diesel alley two or three times per week at Calais with his HGV. He has fitted  dashboard cameras to the front of the tractor and to the rear of his trailer after three times having illegals discovered in his unit some years back now. He never exits the vehicle for any reason until well inside the docks where the refugees can't go and all the way up the channel coast as far as Holland,lorry drivers are becoming more and more targetted. BIL when running out of hours and has to park up will not go within 60kms of the ports anywhere and to get out and check the unit, he carries a big iron bar for protection. The trucking fraternity who run the risk of being murdered every time they go to Calais are up in arms and it will only be a matter of time before a driver is killed they feel now!

We went along the A16 from Calais towards Boulogne a few weeks ago. At one point there was a group of half a dozen people, who I took from their appearance and demeanour to be clandestines, walking along the hard shoulder towards Calais, totally oblivious of the danger that the traffic posed to them and which they posed to the traffic.

On the way back a few days ago, similar groups could be seen converging on the Cité Europe car parks.

If you go on some of the trucker's sites/Facebook etc you can see footage of lorries running the gauntlet to catch a ferry at Calais and how these clandestins behave, some truckers will run them down if they are in the road regardless and a lot of the discussions are full of anger at the authorities allowing them to behave in this way and just standing back and doing nothing about it!

We were in Calais last Friday (26th). The place has a dreadful feel about it.

Had lunch in the Bleriot at the Auchan centre and then went back to our camper just as a young man rolled out from under the camper next door.I shouted at him but he just looked dead eyed at me. When you don't have anything (except for a smart 'phone that is) then you have nothing to lose.

Went down to the new Lidl (Rue Mollier?) for some cheap Spanish wine but as the area (very close to the Gendarmerie Nationale) was teeming with them. Needles to say we didn't stop.

Speaking with a Belgian lady further South (yes wooly there are some!) she said that the closing of all the lorry parks to the North of Calais is causing the problem to back-up into Belgium.

Speaking with the owners of the Fort Lapin campsite they, predictably, blame  the English!!!!!

Val_2 your BIL and all lorry drivers have my sympathy. Left to them to try to stop the illegals getting in. Easy to imagine why the French authorities want to turn a blind eye.

Perhaps anyone claiming asylum in the UK should have to serve 2 years in the Army and be deployed to Iraq :)