UNIVERSITY OF THE THIRD AGE

Would anyone be interested in setting up a University of the Third Age (or similar) for (mainly but certainly not exclusively) ex-Pats in the Basse Normande?  I'm thinking theatre, opera, writing, dancing but there are lots of other possibilities - it entirely depends on people's passions and knowledge levels.  Other options: nature; walking; politics/Brexit fallout; etc?

Does depend on what your local one is like.  I went, for the first and only time and after much persuasion from friends, to one near me.  It was completely dire!  I went for a learning French session but the mix of British to French was about 10 to 1 and, not only that, some of the Brits have been going for years and their knowledge of French was not, shall we say, extensive.

OTOH, I have 2 Café Associatifs within easy reach and I am nearly always the only British person there, be it for conversation, music making, watching a film, doing a spot of archery or whatever.  For the conversation, there might be say 4 British persons maximum (and they are people I have introduced!) but then there would always be more French people so that's fine by me.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I dislike my compatriots, not at all, but I can always go and mix with anglophones whenever I wish but I want to learn French and so, for many social activities, I join associations that are more or less exclusively French.

But I know that many people do like the U3As.

Ours is 95% French. No classes for English people at all, everything is in French. I like it because it pushes me to a higher level of French than everyday chat. I did find learning Spanish hard because of having three languages in my head though.

Penny drops:  perhaps it's just the one near me!  After all, ALBF keeps telling me that I live in a British ghetto[:P]

The sort of things that go on in the Café Associatif are similar to what Norman mentions in his post.

Lots of activities, physical and cerebral and I have a job keeping up!