Tax Credit, Merci Beaucoup parsnips

Grecian

Well I think you deserve your own thread parsnips, as a way of thanking you for sorting out my tax credit problem, and I am sure lots of other people would like to express their gratitude with the help you have given to them, and by putting the words tax credit in the title maybe it will help people in the future when they search the forum.

Having lived in France for 5 years now I have always used an account to fill in our tax returns, as I must admit I was totally baffled with all the different boxes that had to be filled in. I had a 3-year contract with the accountant which expired this year, and I had intended to fill in our own tax returns from next year. This year I received an e-mail from our accountant telling me he was breaking the contract, and nearly doubling the fee he was proposing to charge us, so I politely told him where to go. I completed this years return copying exactly what he had done for previous years, that included not submitting a 2042C form showing my tax credit amount I had entered on the 2047 form, so subsequently we were not receiving the tax credit due to us. After confronting the 'accountant' he claimed 'most offices' take the figure from the 2047 form, ours obviously was not. Maybe I could accept this argument, but the 'accountant' also provided us with a projection of what our tax and social charges should be for each of the years he completed the returns for us, he did not take off the tax credit for any of the years returns, and so when the tax and social charge bills arrived it was corresponding with what the 'accountant' had told us to expect, so I thought we were paying the correct amounts of tax and social charges.

Having read by chance the thread titled 'Form 2042CK' stated by knee gel, and then  asking you several questions parsnips I became aware that I had not submitted a 2042C form for any of the previous five years. So I took your advice and printed off the last 3 years 2042C forms, which I duly completed, and myself and my wife cobbled together a covering letter trying to explain our mistake. After about 6 weeks we received a letter telling us that indeed we were entitled to the aforementioned tax credits and we will receive a tax rebate for 2011, 2012 and 2013. [:)] Which now we have received. Taking into account the tax credit, we ended up not paying any income tax for 2011 and 2012 [:)] and massively reduced our bill for this year.

So parsnips thank you very much for all your help and advice, it really is much appreciated, I really do not know how you know all the things that you do, but I am sure lots of people appreciate all you help.

[quote user="Grecian"]Well I think you deserve your own thread parsnips, as a way of thanking you for sorting out my tax credit problem, and I am sure lots of other people would like to express their gratitude with the help you have given to them, and by putting the words tax credit in the title maybe it will help people in the future when they search the forum.

Having lived in France for 5 years now I have always used an account to fill in our tax returns, as I must admit I was totally baffled with all the different boxes that had to be filled in. I had a 3-year contract with the accountant which expired this year, and I had intended to fill in our own tax returns from next year. This year I received an e-mail from our accountant telling me he was breaking the contract, and nearly doubling the fee he was proposing to charge us, so I politely told him where to go. I completed this years return copying exactly what he had done for previous years, that included not submitting a 2042C form showing my tax credit amount I had entered on the 2047 form, so subsequently we were not receiving the tax credit due to us. After confronting the 'accountant' he claimed 'most offices' take the figure from the 2047 form, ours obviously was not. Maybe I could accept this argument, but the 'accountant' also provided us with a projection of what our tax and social charges should be for each of the years he completed the returns for us, he did not take off the tax credit for any of the years returns, and so when the tax and social charge bills arrived it was corresponding with what the 'accountant' had told us to expect, so I thought we were paying the correct amounts of tax and social charges.

Having read by chance the thread titled 'Form 2042CK' stated by knee gel, and then  asking you several questions parsnips I became aware that I had not submitted a 2042C form for any of the previous five years. So I took your advice and printed off the last 3 years 2042C forms, which I duly completed, and myself and my wife cobbled together a covering letter trying to explain our mistake. After about 6 weeks we received a letter telling us that indeed we were entitled to the aforementioned tax credits and we will receive a tax rebate for 2011, 2012 and 2013. [:)] Which now we have received. Taking into account the tax credit, we ended up not paying any income tax for 2011 and 2012 [:)] and massively reduced our bill for this year.

So parsnips thank you very much for all your help and advice, it really is much appreciated, I really do not know how you know all the things that you do, but I am sure lots of people appreciate all you help.

[/quote]

Hi,

Thank you, I'm glad I was able to help.   I have studied the french tax system as a sort of paying hobby, since being baffled  (and over-charged ) ,when we first arrived here 21 years ago.  (I was briefly a tax officer in the Inland Revenue when I left school in the 50s).

Having sorted out my own situation, I have , since getting a computer, been trying to use what I have gradually got to know to help the growing number of expats who are being badly served and over taxed by the chaotic french tax system.

I don't foresee retiring from that function any time soon.

[quote user="parsnips"]    I have , since getting a computer, been trying to use what I have gradually got to know to help the growing number of expats who are being badly served and over taxed by the chaotic french tax system.

[/quote]

Yippee !

Sue [:)]

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="parsnips"]    I have , since getting a computer, been trying to use what I have gradually got to know to help the growing number of expats who are being badly served and over taxed by the chaotic french tax system.
[/quote]

Yippee !

Sue [:)]
[/quote]

Ditto - "like" [:D]

[quote user="greyman"][quote user="NormanH"]At least parsnips gets it right unlike the Correction.

[:P]

[/quote]

That's so true Norman. I for one would pay for a guide produced by parsnips and he is happy to delve into the more difficult areas which the above rag avoids. I have been very impressed with his in-depth knowledge so freely given.

[/quote]

Totally agree with everyone here. Thank you. Chris