Winterising House

We have a maison secondaire in Dept 71 close to the Jura. This will be the first winter and we are wondering what to do to protect the place. We have fuel central heating but no time switch. It has a thermostat so I suppose we could leave it switched on with a low temperature setting. I don't really fancy draining the system and the cold water supply etc. We dont really know what the winters are like in this region. The neighbours say that there is rarely any snow but can be hard frosts.
We will be there in a couple of weeks and at Christmas so could perhaps get the electrician to fit a timer.
Has anybody any advice or experience in this matter?

LAST EDITED ON 15-Oct-02 AT 04:45 AM (GMT)

>It has a thermostat so
>I suppose we could leave
>it switched on with a
>low temperature setting.

The best advice is to find a neighbour or caretaker who can look after the place and check the electricity. You cannot rely on electrical timers or frost themostats alone in France due to power cuts and storms.

>I don't really fancy draining the
>system and the cold water
>supply etc. We dont
>really know what the winters
>are like in this region.

I would prefer to do this than face the consequences. Around 8 years ago much or northen France was hit with -15C one winter!

regards,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
We have solid fuel central heating with radiators, when we put the system in we added antifreeze to the water. Not the car type there is a specific type for central heating, we have not had any trouble in the ten years it has been installed.

Well thats one more option to think about.

Good luck
Steve