Please talk to me!

Hi, all you lucky souls already out there in Burgundy. We are expecting to make our permanent move to Nievre (58) some time in April or May. At the moment we're in the middle of selling our house here, trying to organise our French electrician and builder via e-mail and letter and regularly worrying about whether or not we'll manage to survive on our early retirement pensions! (Will we?) Really, we're longing to just BE THERE! We know there aren't many Brits. in Burgundy, thus the irregular postings on this area, but please could one or two of you just post something to tell us what it's like there just now? Is it still as peaceful, quiet and beautiful as it was in November? Are the locals still as inquisitive and welcoming? Is it still as relaxing watching the world go by from the table of the local bar/cafe? At the moment we're just waiting and dreaming about being in our wonderful little house, sorting out the garden, painting the shutters, exchanging the time of day with the neighbours, popping into Corbigny for supplies, eating fantastic meals, drinking wine on the terrace and visiting the cave at Tannay. Sometimes we just can't believe that in a month or so we'll actually have done it and be there on a permanent basis. Any snippets/bits of info. to tickle our imaginations would be most welcome!
Hope all is well with you all and that all projects and plans are moving along smoothly and successfully.
Yours, in anticipation,
Sue and Pete.

Time will fly by and you will soon be living the dream!
Our house is in the Cote D'Or, near to Veneray Les Laumes and we spent 5 weeks there from 27th December to 30 January. It was certainly different being there in winter as opposed to Summer/Autumn, the last time we were there, but just as wonderful. It was a time to see the area in contrast. We had snow, which made the area really beautiful and we spent more time mixing with the locals. When we visited Dijon we only met French people. We are going back 1 April for 10 days and then at the end of May, and personally I cannot wait. We are already retired and I would love to live there permenantly. We would like to hear from people in Cote D'Or departement (21), as when you are new to an area it is good to know someone in the vicinity.
Whenever you are in Burgundy it will be fantastic. Each season brings something new, just take advantage of the Spring to be able to visit the cafes etc. without tourists! We have a local cafe off the beaten track and just hope the tourists don't find it!
Good luck on your move and just love every moment of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sue.

We haven't looked up La Mairie for a little while, but welcome to Burgundy.

We are permanent residents (2 years, after 13 on holidays). similar ages to you both and also early retirements. Our place is near Charolles in Saone et Loire (about an hour or so from you?) and we have contact with a few English people in the region - not too many, as we do not want to be clasified as ex-pats!

We have been through the carte de sejour, registering an English car routine, etc, so if we can offer any advice, let us know.

If you are interested, email us at [email protected] and we can swap telephone numbers

• 3 weeks later...
Good choice Burgundy. We are further south than you, on the southern fringe of the Morvan. At the moment just a holiday home but hoping to retire there. We're both in our mid fifties, so not long to go. To us it always seems quite and peaceful, whatever the season. It probably sounds daft but for me one of the delights is the ability to drive anywhere without encountering traffic! Not many Brits around (a plus?) but those we have met are friendly types. The French too, once through the language barrier, are fine.

I know Corbigny a little, it's a pretty town - have you found out about the historic aircraft wreck yet? You've got good communications there too with your weekly train to Paris!

I'm off in two days for a month's stay, the family following a week later. E-mail me if you want to exchange phone numbers, dates etc.

Good luck with the move -I'm sure you won't regret it.

Patrick

• 1 month later...
Hi all of you adopted Bourgognians(?) - we hope to be joining you in August. We will just qualify as being in Bourgogne - the house is in a little hamlet between Chauffailles and Charlieu but officially in Soane et Loire (71).
Like you we wonder(worry) about what we have taken on - the house is solid and needs little work but things like fosse septique (no sanitation there at all), plumbing,etc all need doing. I reckon we will be lucky to be inside the house to live by Christmas - we will live in our caravan in teh garden for now.

We are really looking forward to being there and all the posts have given us encouragement.

Graham & Mary Stewart