Church with English services

Does anyone know of Churches in the Dijon area which have services in English?

We are tempted to go to the services in the villages around us but are not sure our language skills are sufficent for that. We are Methodists but would be happy to attend services at any churches where English is spoken in or around Dijon.

Coral 

I have three possible solutions for you:

a) become a catholic

b) learn French

c) become an atheist

I can recommend the latter.

Failing adoption of any of the above, good luck with your search but quite honestly why you want to live in France and go to English church services is beyond me.

Patrick

Thanks for your help but there are none around Dijon it seems. We will try the local Catholic churches, who I am sure are welcoming, but where we will not be able to take communion as we are not Catholics.

Patrick, we are learning French, very fast, so your comment was uncalled for, but as yet are not sure we would be able to follow the service. Sometimes, in special cases like attending church, it is good to have your own language until you are proficient enough to cope in a second one. No one speaks English where we live and we do cope, very well I might add. So, if sometimes we want to indulge I don't think it is too much to ask, do you? I don't think I will take up your other options either Patrick, as well meaning as they might well have been. I don't mind admitting I am a Christian even if it does offend.

Coral

Sorry if I was a bit flip. Your response was very moderate [Christian?]. But it puzzles me why someone who has moved to France - presumably because of a love of that country - wishes to hang on to something so quintessentially English as the Anglican service.

Of course, my response was provoked by the fact that I find all religion ridiculous and I don't just mean the fact that religious people are so incredibly intolerant that they have to kill each other [Christians killing Muslims, Jews and Muslims killing each other; even sects within religions killing each other]. I mean more that I find the idea that people believe in a God and heaven and the afterlife and all that rubbish completely and utterly incomprehensible.

Still, this isn't the place for a discussion on religion, interesting though it might be.

Patrick

Crikey Patrick, I consider myself christian though I despair of some religions (which are often unfairly blamed for all the ills of the world), but even I can appreciate for a churchgoer that there is a certain solace, comfort and strength in hearing the words you have been familiar with for years.

Maybe their prayers to be fluent in French will be answered

Yes, I was moderate wasn't I, mainly because I think being flippant about other peoples' beliefs is the height of rudeness.

I find solace in my beliefs, I lost my mother suddenly 1st December and have just returned home after spending 6 weeks in England where we had to wait for autopsie and coroners to give us the go ahead for a funeral. We spent weeks looking through paperwork and her things. On top of this we had Christmas to celebrate for our grandchildrens' sakes and New Year to get through. I need something to hold onto and whether you beleive or not is no concern of mine. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and thoughts, and sometimes we jsut need something to hold onto. I am a stroke survivor and have Chronic Fatigue syndrome butwhy not me who has to suffer?

Perhaps Patrick has faith in other things, money, possessions, or whatever is up to him but don't knock my rights to believe in what I want to believe in and I am content to be a Methodist, I don't want to change and become a Catholic thank you as we each believe in different things.

And to think I only asked a simple question! And I receive a lecture on my beliefs!

Coral 

Please do not imagine that some of us have to believe in anything at all, we don't replace having no belief with anything else either. That is why religion is incomprehensible to many of us. We simply do not hold a belief system and live very happily as we do.

As to not believing in the same thing as other christians. I know english people here who happily attend their local catholic church, there is no other church where they live and the protestant culte have nothing near them at all. Living out in the country is rather like that  here. They are C of E, but say that they can pray there with other people who also believe. They were accepted and have never been encouraged to convert in any way. Respect all round really.....

ps A search on google for culte protestante dijon, will bring up lots of information.

I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest. Coral, you say that you need something to hold on to to see you through bereavement, illness and other difficulties and for you it is religion. In difficult times we all need things to hold on to. For me religion seems empty, not just because I do not believe, but because religion seems so narrow. A belief in a thing/person/entity greater than ourselves and the promise of something after life. What about now? - the incredible wonder of life in all its manifest forms, of music, art, literature, friendship and love. All these seem to me far more fulfilling and rewarding than a fear of the almighty and the prospect of  living? for eternity if we are very, vey good.

I know this isn't a thread about religion, but because you and others have responded I have continued the discussion.

Patrick

I feel that we must bring this to a close, for everyones' sakes. However, I will let you know Patrick both in Engalnd and now in France I take a great interest in all the things you mention. I sang in choirs, I write poetry and stories as well as articles for publication. I read anything and everything, I have recently passed a diploma in journalism and am taking a diploma in French. I have many friends in England, France, Iceland, Canada, USA, Australia and the Netherlands. I have a wonderful husband and family who I love dearly. I travel (have wheelchair will travel!) and I am lucky enough to live in a beautiful region of France where I look out of my window onto fields and forests. We have wonderful neighbours who look after us as well as including us in the community we are truly blessed. All these are fullfilling and rewarding and I truly appreciate them. I am not afraid of God, I am just really happy to love Him and have Him walk beside me and be part of my life. Just because someone professes to be a Christain, of any denomination and the choice of denomination is a personal one, does not mean that there is nothing else in their lives. I enjoy a good laugh, eating out, a good bottle of wine, spending an evening in the company of good friends, going to the cinema, theatre, the opera, art galleries whatever. My life is not narrow, I see many things and appreciate them, the sky, the countryside, flowers, rivers, boats, the sea and much more. I live a fullfilled and interesting life and hope to do so for many years to come.

Coral