I am a soon to be qualified English teacher and am being sent to Picardy for my first year from September. I don't know the area at all and I have to choose where I want to live and work soon. Does anyone know of any bad schools or areas to avoid living? I want to live somewhere OK but not remote as I won't know anyone when I arive. Is there such a website as "English people who live in Picardy" which exists?

Thanks!

I live further to the north than Picardy but would suggest that either Amiens or Abbeville are nice towns with plenty going on.   Like all larger towns they have rough areas, though.   Generally speaking, the nearer the centre you are, the better/safer the area.   I'm afraid I can't help about schools.

Picardie covers an enormous area, but if you've got the choice of where to go, why not have a look at Chantilly?

It's a nice town in a pleasant area not too far from Paris and close to airports, railway links, etc.  The inhabitants seem pretty well off and there are loads of recreational facilities.  It has a spectacular chateau, parks and open spaces, golf courses, a race course and good shops and restaurants.

Alternatively, what about Compiegne, for pretty much the same reasons?

It might be a bit expensive to live in either of these places, though.

Patrick