Well, That is a Bit Better (Capital Gains)

Grecian

Still in shock, but it would seem M. Hollande has given us a break regarding capital gains on share sales. According to the link below as from 1st January 2013 any shares that have been held for over 2 years will qualify for relief of 50%, and any shares held over 8 years will qualify for relief of 65%. This if far better than the original system he brought in where shares had to be held for 2 years starting from 1st January 2013 and would only be granted 20% relief. In addition to the 50% taper, although social charges will still be payable at 15.5%, 5.1% will be deductible against income tax.

http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/finance-taxation/taxation/capital-gains-tax/shares/

[:D]

• 2 months later...
OK, as the official 2014 tax form season is underway, looks like I am going to be the first one to post a query.

Following on from the link I posted within this thread on the 5th February, I am now totally confused by the new information supplied french-property.com via an e-mail newsletter I received from them. Within this newsletter they are now stating that capital gains realized from share sales are tapered on a sliding scale, starting at 20% not 50% for shares held for 2 years, 30% between 2 and 4 years, and 40% from 6 years, totally different information given back in February.

http://www.french-property.com/news/tax_france/dividends_interest_income/

Also after reading the link kindly supplied by knee gel from The Connection, they are stating that it is 50% taper on shares held for 2 years, and the same treatment for any losses that are declared. I have 'Googled' the tax changes from the budget and all the websites that were flagged up except suez-environment.com are stating 50% taper, but suez are also saying it is only 20%.

Does anybody know if it is 20% or 50% taper after 2 years, as obviously it will made a big difference to the final tax bill.