Walking in the Auvergne

Visiting the Auvergne again next month and would like to do a bit of walking,nothing too strenuous.Could anyone suggest any books we could purchase perhaps giving half-day circular walks.We did find one book but is was further North than we will be staying.
We are staying in St Ilpize,think this is Allier Valley so anything in that area,Brioude,Ally and south of this would be fine.

You might find it easier to look locally when you get here, I don't know about the Auvergne but here in Creuse they have leaflets and books of walks. You could try looking at the Auvergne's tourist web site (I'm sure they must have one!)

Gill

Try "Walking in France" by Rob Hunter - The Oxford Illustrated Press Ltd 1st published in 1982 may be out of print - An excellent chapter on Central France with graded walks in the Auvergne.

However when he asked the Tourist Office woman in Clemont about where the best walking country was in the Auvergne she replied "partout", "everywhere".

Have a great trip and I agree that you can pick up excellent maps & guides when you are there.

ps The section on climate, gradings of walks, map reading and health hazards (weather can change dramatically) are useful.

best wishes

Mike

There are some excellent guides to Randonnees in the region with the word Chemina, I think, in the top left corner of cover - I have one for the plateau de Millevaches, Limousin and another for part of the Auvergne but they are in my cottage in France so cannot refer. Both bought out there, so would advise visit nearest O de T and/or Maison de la Presse on arrival there.

Slight amendment to earlier message. Body which issues these guides is Association Chamina in Clermont-Ferrand,which might even have a web-site nowadays. Info. found in an excellent guide which you may have seen: Auvergne and the Massif Central by Rex Grizell, 1989, ISBN 0-7470-1220-2 (probably now O.P.) - much interesting info. in sensible size book.
Enjoy that beautiful area - one reason for our buying in the Creuse 12 years ago was so we could visit the mountains again, but we have only found time for one visit so far - lethergy takes over!

For walking in the Auvergne, the best books I have found are indeed the Chamina series, our local one is entitled Massif du Sancy et Artense, but this is probably too far west for you.

These guides give you fairly detailed maps of each walk, with numbered points of interest, and a French text detailing what you will come across. I don't know if they are available in Enginsh text.

There is usually no problem finding these books or IGN maps in the towns locally.

I hope you enjoy your trip - maybe one day you will come over towards the Sancy mountains where the scenery is truly spectacular. We are opening our B & B soon, and hope most of our guests will come for the skiing and walking. I can't understand why more Brits have not discovered the area yet!

www.french-bedandbreakfast.com

RW

Try a local Marie. We have one of the "walks in the Auvergne" going past our lake and the local Marie hands out details to those interested. We are on the border of the Allier and the Puy de Dome.
Regards Royston