Auvergne, Loire, Allier, Rhone Alps

If there are any of you living in the above areas, can you tell me how you find it down there?

Are the french as friendly as they are up here in Normany?

I have heard that they are not friendly to the english or french.

We are thinking of moving to one of the above areas, would like to be near the mountains.

Any honest info would be great thanks.

Hi We live on the border of the " Puy de Dome " and " L'Allier " which are areas within the AUVERGNE and we find the area breathtaking and the people very kind and friendly but a little shy sometimes and it is amazing how many of them like to try their English on you. I will send you my details on internet so that I don't upset anyone. Where you will beable to read about the area as we see it. Regards Royston

We live close to the mountains in Puy-de-Dome (63) - a beautiful area of forests, lakes and heather covered moors - in many ways it is similar to the Scottish highlands.

The people in the area (contrary to popular belief) are very warm and welcoming. Enginsh isn't widely spoken but the locals are usually happy to try and understand even the poorest French!

Ther are not many Brits holidaying in the area yet, but that is changing as word gets around. Instead the French and Dutch come here for the skiing and summer hiking or mountain biking.

Property prices are still low but there don't seem to be many places for sale within the 'Volcano National Park' - they are easier to find to the West in Limosin or to the East (where the motorway heads South from Clermont-Ferrand) and beyond into L'Allier.

Whichever area you head for, the scenery is surprising and the views spectacular.

RW