Car Buying

We are moving to the Magnac Laval area in January and will need to get a Left Hand Drive car (and diesel we guess...). Can anyone recommend any good places in the area (Limoges?) to go car hunting? Doesn't have to be brand new, up to a couple of years old is fine. In terms of manufacturers we are particularly interested in Audi, VW & Ford but not exclusively. We guess we should consider French makes as well....

we have recently bought a new Citroen from a main dealer in Brive, they were extremely helpful,but just make sure you know what you get with the car, as we didnt realise that the rear shelf only came with the 'executive 'model', only a small thing , but annoying because we had tried the dog in all the models, with the cooperation of the vendeur, and he fitted best with the shelf, we ahd the 'climatisation' absolutely essential, but no shelf.

We have been looking at cars in Limoges. If you exit the A20 at J28 then head around the D2000, you will pick up signs for Z I Nord, or Z.I.N. There are several car dealers including VW/Audi just off the D2000.

Happy hunting. We cant make our mind's up what we want so will keep the old tank (Audi 100) going a bit longer, although on a late drive back the other night from Angouleme, we both realised we didn't have any breakdown cover and as we have only been here a few weeks panicked as we wouldn't have known who to call. Any suggestions on Europe wide cover.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We have just had a phone connected at our property in 87. We went into France telecom office in Limoges. The member of staff was extremely helpful, spoke English (which we did not expect). Advised us to have their service which basically means we can cancel and restart the connection as and when we are visiting (dialling a freephone number with number options). We do have to have a minimum break of two months each year. We also have a good rate for calling England at anytime of the day. Any break lasting for two months will not incur the line rental charge. I cannot praise the sales assistant enough.

Jane

I have removed a post from here because it could have been deemed by some to be offensive and did not have any relevence to the original thread.

I have contacted the originator of the post to inform them of the reasons why I have done this.

I have also removed the posts below it because without the original the others would not have made sense.

Sorry

Chris
(Moderator hat on)

• 4 weeks later...
We've just discovered a French online car sales company that sells all makes at very good rates, legitimately! Their name is ARAMIS (aramisauto.com). They will deliver to any garage in France (for a small fee of no more than E350 AND get ALL the paperwork done for you, ie. no visit to the Prefecture. We're about to give them a try.

<<>>

And the reason for that would be...............?

Surely, millions of French can't be wrong. Get a French one, Renault, Peugeot etc. I'd avoid Citroen as they can be dearer to insure for some daft reason.

Alcazar