Old Street Names

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy old street name plaques, the blue and white enamel ones? I have tried one or two brocantes with no success. Do French towns have a 'Public Works' department where they may have old signs which have been replaced? I'm looking on behalf of a rather mad sister - she would really like Rue de Remarques! Any information would be useful, we are north of Bellac but willing to travel a reasonable distance.

Thanks.

Mary (Mrs. Don)

Try having a look on www.ebay.fr

A Rue de France sign is currently on sale in an auction ending 21/4. The Ebay item reference number is 2394457025. This seller also has an Avenue du chateau sign.

If you are not familiar with Ebay, either type this number into the Que recherchez-vous? box on the home page, or as I did, enter plaque or plaque rue in the box.

If you look in the Ventes termines you will see a couple of signs which recently sold one for 4 and one for 15.50.

Theres also a seller offering made to order signs for 30 (item 3670344998).

Hope this helps you.

We had a heck of a job trying to find same for our daughters new home, even postman pat didn,t know where to obtain any but did try on our behalf. In the end we discovered a company on the outskirts of Montlucon who manufactured this type of product under their banner as " Sign Makers ". If you are interested make contact on E-mail for full information

Regards Royston

we are based in uk but shortly to move full time to our place in 37; we make street/house name plates; same colours but in stoneware, not enamel which means they will last forever and never rust!

i cannot put our web site address because of advertising but you can make contact via my profile

duncan

• 2 weeks later...
there's a shop in Limoges in the old Cite area which does all sorts of reproduction stuff, including street numbers and names, clocks, enamel signs etc.

not sure of the name of it but its on a corner close to the cathedral (St Etienne) and is open on Sundays when the monthly flea market's on as well as during the week.

Trevor

• 3 months later...

[quote]Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy old street name plaques, the blue and white enamel ones? I have tried one or two brocantes with no success. Do French towns have a 'Public Works' departme...[/quote]

Many thanks to all who replied.  We have now ordered the name required.

Don