How to say "mortgage prepayment" in French?

hstraf

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if it's possible to pre-pay the principle of my mortgage a little bit. I got a big chunk of money, and I'd like to use it to pay down my mortgage principle amount with it.

Does anyone know how to say "pre-payment" in French, as it applies to this situation? Or perhaps a simple phrase I can give to our bank that would explain what we want to do?

(I went already and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not make him understand the concept of wanting to apply a one-time payment to the principle amount of my mortgage.)

Thanks!

It should be indicated in your mortgage contract if you can make such a payment.

Mortgage contracts can vary, so unless the person you saw read your contract then I don't see how they could tell you just like that.

You will have to get your contract out and read it.

I'm sure it does say in the contract. The problem is that the contract is in French (which I can't read), and unless I know how to tell the bank guy what I want to do... neither will he know what to look for in the contract.

In other words, I tried my hardest to explain the concept of "early payment of principle" to him. He did not understand.

:)

Try

"REMBOURSEMENT ANTICIPE PARTIEL"

Although I doubt they will let you pay off part of the principle. They will just adjust l’amortissement

REMBOURSEMENT ANTICIPE
Opération

consistant à rembourser du crédit, avant terme, le capital restant dû.

Le remboursement anticipé peut-être partiel ou total.

It is called remboursement anticipé, but even if they let you, and your mortgage may not allow it, they could still charge you to do it.

You need someone to translate your mortage documents for you, a scribe or translator.