Best routes to the Limousin (apologies for repeating a topic!)

I know this has been on the forum in the past but I cant find it nor can I remember the replies so Im risking 'going for it' again.

We always use the autoroutes down from Calais going round Paris on the East side (A86) and finishing off on the A20.  It always seems the most direct and straightforward journey, however, the delays around Paris are gradually wearing me down a tad. 

Can anybody suggest some good alternatives?  My brother in law is also travelling by car to our house for the first time later this month and his only worry is the bit round Paris without satellite navigation so Id like to be able to offer him a more leisurely route.

Thanks all.

Carole - sorry, before you read any further, this is not an actual 'reply'.

I am travelling to Limoges in 2 weeks (via plane) with a view to getting a feel for the area before considering a move there.  I was actually wondering how long it took you to drive from UK, as when I move I will be transporting some ducks and a parrot and am looking towards their welfare for the journey.

Thanks in advance - Linzi

I am travelling to Limoges in 2 weeks (via plane) with a view to getting a feel for the area before considering a move there.  I was actually wondering how long it took you to drive from UK, as when I move I will be transporting some ducks and a parrot and am looking towards their welfare for the journey.

Hi Linzi,

That's okay. 

It takes me about 7 hours from Calais to do about 435 miles which usually combines two or three short stops for loos, bite to eat, wake myself up etc.  Im sure there are people who do it a lot quicker (especially men who love telling you how much faster they can do it ).

Its bad enough with two children in the back - cannot imagine what it will be like with ducks quacking and parrots squalking!

Best wishes.

QUICKEST WAY IS TO LET THE BIRDS FLY DIRECT THEMSELVES  NO TRAFFIC JAMS IN THE AIR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO TO DRIVE I LIVE NEAR LIMOGE AND ALWAYS USE AFTER CHARLES DE GAULE AIRPORT DIRECTION TOWARDS DISNEY AND PICK UP WITH 104 FRANSCILENE BY-PASS (LIKE M25 AROUND LONDON BUT FREE DUAL CARRIAGEWAY ).

EVENTUALLY JPIN A20 SOUTH .

ADDS 30 MINS. TO MORE DIRECRT ROUTE BUT LESS JAMS AND STRESS.

Hello,

We have been in the Correze for nearly 3 years, so have driven all the routes from all the channel ports, from Dunkirque, Calais or Boulogne head for Rouen, the bypass is finished and its quite easy now, from Le Havre bypass Rouen towards Orleans, Chartres and the A20. We did try via Le Mans once, but its doughnut city and more for tolls. In a few weeks time we are going to Plymouth via Roscoff, that will be a new experience. But it always wonderful coming home to Vigeois.

best of luck

Aileen

We have a house in Magnac Laval (north 87) and have tried various routes from Calais / Boulogne. I have to say that by far the favourite is the obvious one....A1 to CDG Airport then simply follow signs for Bordeaux until you pick up the A10 then A71 then A20. The downside is that it can be busy around Paris which can cause a delay of say an hour at worst, but on a good day we can do the 420 miles from Calais in 7 hours including a couple of coffee stops.

I have tried the Rouen / Chartres route and each time it's been a nightmare getting round the cities with various roundabouts and sets of lights causing large queues. Also the N154 is single carriageway still for much of the way so you end up stuck behind a stream of lorries.

However - beware of the speed cameras around Paris - stick to the limit and watch for the Bordeaux signs and it's easy (unless you decide to do it in the rush hour or the last weekend in August!)

The return journey is just as easy - A20 then pick up Paris signs then follow Lille signs to CDG Airport again.

Drive carefully!

Trevor

Thanks all - looks like the favourite way is the one I have been doing.  It is only getting round Paris that can be difficult and, as you say, on a good day it can be easy.  I guess I have just returned from getting round it on a Saturday in August and it has tarnished me somewhat.  I think the mentality at the Paris toll queues had to be the highlight this time although usually I have to say that despite their manic crossing over of lanes and motorbikes haring up between them, the French seem a lot less inclined to blow on their horns for nothing than we do in the UK.  I prefer their tolerance for making faults if not their driving.

Im also delighted that I am on a par with most others driving times   The only thing that would please me more is if the French would decide to move Paris about 100 miles to the East and I would have a straight drive down then with no problem

Cheers,

Like you we have always gone on the same route as you ,have been doing so for fifteen years and I often drive down on my own and feel safe with this route, but just recently the paris section has just got busier and busier and slower and slower so this year we thought we would have a change.We crossed the channel with speedferries £29.50 and picked up A16 at Bolougne we came off at Beauvais taking the road to Mantes and then Rambouillet picking up the A10 to Orleans and then carrying on to Virzieon, Cateauroux, Limoges. It was brilliant the only bit that was not motorway was between Beauvais and Rambouillet which having taken the early crossing gave us the oppertunity to stop for a wonderful french lunch and not having to use motorway facilities.It was 425 miles in total and missing Paris was great it took 7.5 hours of driving.I will always go this way now as there was no stress unless you go roud Paris in the middle of the night it is always busy as you have all the Dutch traffic. I have no hesitation in reccomending it. Good luck. Karen