snow

This may seem a daft and mad question but.................. does anybody know of a "snow resort" in Auvergne that we could visit for a couple of days later this week or next? We have no family commitments over Christmas and have decided we would like to make a spontaneous trip to Auvergne/Massif Central to see some "proper snow". We live in Dept 72 and understand it may take approx 4 hrs to get there.

We do not know any part of this area at all and would be grateful for any info, we do not want skiing but just looking or maybe some other snow activity ie skating,sleigh rides etc, perhaps a suggestion of web sites to view?

Thanks as always

Kate

There are a couple of resorts in the Massif. I think the biggest is Besse/Super Besse. I have never been there but believe it is quite good. The resorts in the Massif are not as high as the Alps and therefore the snow is often not good. The result is a lesser known resort and hence not so well equipped. (I may, of course, be entirely wrong!)[:D]

The snow report I saw the other day suggested that there was currently more snow in the Massif than the Alps, but a quick search of the net will confirm that! Have fun and let us know what it was like!

I have  visited both super besse and Le mont Dore, Le Mont Dore is a wonderful spa resort with lots of restaurants and shops with the ski slopes in the backdrop, super Besse is higher and a ski resort with lots of activities, they are fairly near each other and you could visit both although the road up to Super Besse is quite steep and if there is a lot of snow you will need chains.They are primarily french resorts and you do not see many english as the alps are higher and have more ski runs and gauranteed snow, personally I love the central masif resorts and if you fancy a french snow experience go.I love the sking there as I am not very good and they cater for the likes of me with plenty of  easy ski runs.Good Luck.

Not sure if this is too late for you now but we went from Haute-Vienne (87) to the Auvergne to ski last Christmas.

Try www.superbesse.com or www.mont-dore.com Had a great time - plenty of snow, no queues, cheap lift passes, very french resort although not the prettiest. We stayed in an Auberge just out of town and drove in to ski - plenty of free parking. Priced at about €30 per person per night half-board.

Let me know if you need any more info

Kate

We are going to Mont Dore in February, our first visit there so hopefully still plenty of snow.  We are travelling from Dept 23 and really looking forward to it already.  Our first ever skiing trip[:D]

I will now be able to check out the web cam nearer the time so thanks for that info.

Julie[:)]