How wet is it in the Limousin?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather is unpredictable and your question is very difficult to answer.  You can find historical weather data on www.meteo.fr - average rainfall, sunshine hours etc for any given month.  How useful that is for predicting future weather is questionnable with global warming. 

The Limousin is a large area and the weather is not the same throughout.  We are 30mins east of Limoges at 450m.  Our climate is a bit wetter than yours and experiences greater extremes - but not significantly so.  I find it a very good climate to live in - it's worth owning a pool, a woodburner, a raincoat and a sledge.

Searching the Meteo website a year or so ago, I cam across a bit that you could look at the climates of your area. I was intrigued to find, as posted above, that the Limousin has about 8 micro-climates.

I was not so intigued to find that we are located in the wettest of them[:'(]

Thiose day long Limousin "bruines" really get to me, and I'v also been there when it's either rained or bruined constantly for a week at a time........and that was in August![^o)]

Alcazar

In fifteen years I would say I have had more good weather than bad,the rainfall is quite high as it is the first set of hills the weather of f the atlantic hits not unlike the lake district in the u.k.However I am the sort of person that could not stand weeks and weeks of heat so I find the climate great.The countryside is very green and lush due to the rainfall and on a lighter note the lovely Limousin cows stay very clean indeed  and look the picture of health.

WE HAVE LIVED  NEAR TO COUSSAC BONNEVAL FOR 5 YEARS AND FOUND IT IS NOT AS WET AS EXPECTED-MY WIFE IS A KEEN GARDENER AND WOULD LOVE MORE RAIN FOR THE GARDEN AS THE SOIL IS NOT VERY WET MOST OF THE YEAR .THE LAST YEAR WE HAD LIKE OTHER AREAS A BAN ON USING WATER HOSES BETWEEN 800A.M. AND8.00P.M.

IT IS A BEAUTIFUL AREA AND NOT OVERCROWDED(LIKE MOST OF FRANCE RURAL AREAS) AND STILL REASONABLY PRICED.

THIS AREA IS 40 K.M SOUTH OF LIMOGES.

WE HAVE BEEN TOLD TO THE EAST IN CORREZE AND CREUSE AREAS IT CAN BE A LOT WETTER ,COLDER AND MISTY.AGAIN AS SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED YOU HAVE SEVERAL MICRO-CLIMATES  DUE TO THE HILLS.PREVAILING WINDS FROM THE WEST .

[quote user="Alcazar"]

Searching the Meteo website a year or so ago, I cam across a bit that you could look at the climates of your area. I was intrigued to find, as posted above, that the Limousin has about 8 micro-climates.

Thiose day long Limousin "bruines" really get to me, and I'v also been there when it's either rained or bruined constantly for a week at a time........and that was in August![^o)]

Alcazar

[/quote]

many thanks for the replies...so where exactly are you?

[quote user="Frogslegs"][quote user="Alcazar"]

Alcazar

[/quote] Many thanks for the replies. So where exactly are you? [/quote]

Close to St Mathieu, in the south of the Haute Vienne(87)........4km south gets you into the Dordogne,(24) and 16km west into Charente.(16)

Don't get me wrong, it's VERY beautiful, we are in the Parc National Regional du Limousin Perigord, and it's definitley not built up. When the weather is kind, it's idyllic, but as mentioned above, when it rains, it really knows how: I've seen whole weeks of NON-STOP rain, and when it stops in other regions, a bruine sets in near us........OK if you like sea frets[:'(] I moved from Cleethorpes because I didn't! (Well, not really, I moved with my parents 'cos dad got a better job[:)]  I was 5 ast the time.)

Alcazar

wished you had'nt asked that question about how wet it is as it started yesterday to rain that light miserable cold rain you get near cleetthorpes and newcastle where i was born-i should have stayed in a job abroad in trinidad --at least it is damn wet or dry none of this in between stuff.

anyhow now is the time to do all those things you promised to do when you cannot get outside.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Ab"]

wished you had'nt asked that question about how wet it is as it started yesterday to rain that light miserable cold rain you get near cleetthorpes and newcastle where i was born-i should have stayed in a job abroad in trinidad --at least it is damn wet or dry none of this in between stuff.

anyhow now is the time to do all those things you promised to do when you cannot get outside.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Ah yes..........the North Sea-induced "sea fret". Known to all dwellers on the East Coast.

I once spent an entire day in Skeggy (Skegness for you Southerners), in what I assumed was fog. Cold, damp, awful!

On my way home I called for fuel at a little garage at Burgh le Marsh, about 4 miles inland, where it was blazing sunshine.

I mentioned to the chap serving me that I could have done with it being like that earlier, and why did it always clear up as I went home? and he told me it'd been like that all day there. The sea fret stopped about 2 miles inland!

As for the southern Haute Vienne bruines.............we're a bit far from the Atlantic, let alone the North Sea!

Alcazar

• 1 month later...

We were over for February half term: the first three days were bright sunshine with -6 degrees at night and about zero during the day. The next FOUR were CONSTANT rain hail, thunder, etc, but up to 8 degrees. It was still raining when we left.[:(]

Our neighbours insist it only rains when we come[:O]

Having said that, we were also there for  last October half term: 25 degrees during the day, incredible!

Alcazar

When we had a house there we regulalry drove 15 kilometres East to get home in the evening and watched the temperature go up by 5 degrees, Equally if we drove over to the 4 winds centre commercial south of Limoges in 40 minutes of driving the temperature would drop by 4 degrees.

It always rained but it used to be warmer.

Hi

We live on the borders of Indre and  Limousin near Ste Severe and it is very green and lush. It rains heavily sometimes for weeks in spring but we are on top of a hill. People in the village say it's dry!

Come the end of April the great sprinkler in the sky appears to be turned off  and the hot dry setting engaged,temperatures soar into the 40's with frequent short lived "orages" In Autumn the situation is reversed,rain again and we get snow in winter. We had massive hailstones and flooding on the day of my husbands birthday in July 04 and everything was swept away in the wind including the gazebo. The next day was glorious.

We seem to have a micro- climate around us (our hill) and there is no definitive meteo site which reflects our weather.It's proper weather though with proper seasons. We like it although sometimes the rain gets you down especially when we were working and only had a 2 week holiday.Now we dont care really because we visit in 6 month spells.

We live near Newcastle and you don't get much sea fret on our part of the N/E coast these days it seems to have disappeared with the warmer winters.We only live a mile from the beach .

Brilliant sun today but snow forecast the same as in France.

Regards Fi

Been living here for 7 months now and it's hardly rained at all, was

expecting more.  Definately rained more in Cornwall where we used

to live though is definately colder here, but lots more blue skies! And

it's not windy which living near to the coast in the Uk was a daily

occurence and made it feel colder than the it actually was.

How can you live near st .severe and alsoin Newcastle?

thats a fib.

i suppose you live in posh whitley bay and have a holiday home .

i used to live in posh byker if you know where i mean but am now in the south of haute vienne -nearly as posh as byker but without the wall.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i really miss my fish and chips.!!!

i am now an outcast in the middle of france .!!

never mind we might beat chelsea this weekend inthe fa cup round..

well i did see a pig fly past the window last year>

and its snowing a little bit now so get some wood for the fire and dream of the better times of childhood in the north east.

tyrah pet.!!!!!!!!!!!

It is very difficult to say what the weather is like in Limousin. It is a sizable area and the weather varies not only from north to south but east to west and uphill and downhill. In the department description section of a forum it is described as hot in summer and mild in winter. I don't call regular -5° overnight mild! In our commune there is someone who charts the weather. From their observations we have about 50 days when the there is frost but on the other hand an average of 40 days when the temperature exceeds +30°

[quote user="Ab"]

How can you live near st .severe and alsoin Newcastle?

thats a fib.

i suppose you live in posh whitley bay and have a holiday home .

i used to live in posh byker if you know where i mean but am now in the south of haute vienne -nearly as posh as byker but without the wall.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i really miss my fish and chips.!!!

i am now an outcast in the middle of france .!!

never mind we might beat chelsea this weekend inthe fa cup round..

well i did see a pig fly past the window last year

and its snowing a little bit now so get some wood for the fire and dream of the better times of childhood in the north east.

tyrah pet.!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

WHAT - have you no faith in the lads you Newcastle United traitor -Chelsea who are they?

We aint posh but do live near Whitley Bay - hard graft brought us there. I like the N/E so much I dont really want to leave pernanently for France. Six months is fine at the minute until we have weatherproofed the place.Central heating and new windows may sway my opinion in the future.

Had a nice fresh cod and chips from the quayside last night - ha

Fi

[:D][;)][;)][D][&]Sorry stopped going to church long ago but hope the lads win all the way to take the cup like the heady days of the 50's.!!!!!!!

well i hope you sort yoursef out as far as living in 2 places -it must be great but like many others i was forced to leave the n.e. when job. redundancies happened and moved around the u.k. and ended up two long in the s.e. of england .

well enjoy your food we are still waiting for a good fish and chip or chinese restaurat to open near us although we had a weekend in paris near notre dam and were surrounded by japanese and chinese retaurants.the latter were great .

Stop making me really envious I miss fish and chips terribly and also miss the north east , we have been in the limousin for 2.1/2 years and although we have very nice hot summers I find the winters colder than home, which was Sunderland and yes we had a caravan at whitley bay holiday park, but its now in the Vendee. the thing here we find back home you could go shopping in exciting places like the Metro centre or Newcastle on cold wet days here you take one look out of the window and stay in cos you car't be bothered to drive for 1/2 hr to cora!

Dont get me wrong I love Living in France but miss certain things about home!

Yes we are lucky, but very broke in both countries !

MOH works 2 jobs all winter for our summer holiday because I had to retire with poor health 3 years ago. We still have family commitments at home. my house occupied by my daughter who like many others just cant get into the housing market - cant even afford a rabbit hutch! Jobs are still a problem in the area. She has a good science degree and is working in a shop after 2 years abroad.Doesn't want to move away again, long term boyfriend.

I know Sunderland well, worked there all of my life. The joy of  listening to the traffic news in the morning and knowing I dont have to spend an hour and a half in the car  to drive the 16 miles to work is amazing (Tyne Tunnel queue)  Essential car user -no option.If we see three cars in our lane in france it's a traffic jam.

5 weeks, one day ,16 hours until we leave for the France house. Not that I am counting !

Let's hope we will be celebrating about the footy later today. Poor old Sunderland though,you can only sympathise with their predicament.I cant even bring myself to be rude about them which is odd for a Newcastle supporter. Must be losing me marbles.

Howay the lads

Fi

well the lads have won again-amazing what a change of manager does--

now sunderland another story- worked 2 years there and given a ticket for their club's 100th. anniversay.

no one knew i was a newcastle  man or i would have been lynched.-no just a joke although the police did walk around in pairs!!!!!!!!!!!

had my car nearly stolen by the local gangs but foiled them by taking out my distributer lead.!!!!!!!!!!!

bugger me they came bakk later i suppose with a lead but i chased them away.

at the time cars were taken whatever the age.!!!!!!!!!!

i think thieves should have their hands chopped off like saudi arabia -that would stop them driving away!!!!!!!!!!!![:D][ip]