french - english translation

Our French is very basic at present so we are looking for a french / english translator to help us with general translation work, ie setting up electricity, telephone and gas accounts etc and also to help with general conversation with builders and trades people.

We are based approximately 25 mins south of Montlucon in the 03 dept on the border with Creuse and Puy de Dome.  Anyone out there that can help?

try sarah whiting i have'nt got her tel no handy but her e-mail is [email protected] she might be to far for you to travel but you can e-mail or fax documents to her for translation or telephone her if you want her to make some calls on your behalf,she is the official translator for the chambre de metier in gueret and translates on all the stage courses for the english.i am in the uk at the moment and she has been doing a lot for me in this way,works well.

good luck

Hi.

There is a language school and translation shop in Vichy called L'entente Cordial. We have used and recommended Claire & Ryan many times and indeed use them ourselves. If you're interested contact me directly and i'll give you their telephone number and address, my e-mail is [email protected]

Hope this helps and good luck!

Jon

Bannon,

Would you really expect official documents in UK to be available in French? Urdu and Hindi yes, but not French. It is not realistic to expect French documents to be in English, any that are should be looked on as a bonus. In France the language is, of course, French and it is up to us to learn it.

Regards

PD I take your point, but certainly in my line of work, education, we are expected to provide documentation in just about any language if requested, and the same holds true for local government in general. Now I don't know if that would include forms, but it would certainly include the notes and guidance that go with them.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Bannon,

Would you really expect official documents in UK to be available in French? Urdu and Hindi yes, but not French. It is not realistic to expect French documents to be in English, any that are should be looked on as a bonus. In France the language is, of course, French and it is up to us to learn it.

[/quote]

I agree with you about needing to learn French - but - I had to use the Irish Revenue website recently and noticed that it is available in five european languages.  I know the Irish have been pretty successful in recent years in encouraging EU businesses to set up in Eire - maybe both the French and British could learn a thing or two from them...

Hastobe 

No I do not expect it powerdesal... I was just making an observation and noting perhaps the French reluctance to be more liberal with their language and more sympathtic to us Brits - fat chance. The same could be said of Wales where all documents are bilingual - even the driving licence. What a pickle that would be to have to learn Welsh when most of em' don't speak it themselves. I wonder what the score is with Breton?

Bannon,

I certainly agree that as a European Union all the members should be

more liberal with the acceptance of the language of the other members.

I just dont see it happening quickly in France as I sense a ''fear''

that the French language may be sidelined, as in fact it is in major

businesses.

I deal daily with a major French company and very rarely have to change

from English, even in meetings in Paris (just as well as my French is

not really up to it by any stretch of anyones imagination!!!).

I take your point about Wales, my UK licence paper copy is still in

Welsh + English and I never got beyond the extreme basics. My daughter

is however fluent in Welsh as are (some) of my grandchildren. I believe

its due to Category A schooling that was supposedly bi-lingual ( but

meaning Welsh first!!)

Regards