Looking for work in Area 36 and surrounding areas.

Hi there,

I  have recently purchased a small barn in Pouligny~Notre~Dame and would love to relocate there or in the surrounding area.

I am looking into converting the barn into a workshop and also start trading in property maintainance,   I am a joiner by trade and being 43 have covered all other trades throughout my years including roofing, plastering, painting & decorating and also gardening.

I am looking into the needs of the business and community to see if there is a demand  for Property Maintainance suppliers. Any information that could help me would be very helpful.

Many Thanks George

(Living the Dream) 

George,

We have had a holiday home in that area for five years. There seems to be a lot of renovation going on and our own experience is that it is difficult to find local craftsmen to do jobs without long delays. We deliberately use locals and our friendly neighbours appreciate it. Although we have to wait, the end product is very good and reasonably priced.

I think that the likely problem is that the French would be unwilling to use UK labour unless you speak excellent French. Other than that, they would be swayed by your speed of action and subsequent word-of-mouth reports of your skills. It will take some time to become established so do you need this work for essential living costs?

Is your barn near to the golf course?

Good luck, Alistair

Hi George,

We live in the commune of Moutier Malcard, which is about 10 mins from Pouligny, & I have been registered & working as an artisan for 18 months. As Alistair says, It would be difficult working for the French if you don't speak the language well.  At the moment there are still many brit's buying around here, & many would prefer to deal with a (legal) english tradesman. On the downside, the social charges are very high, as are the decenelle insurance premiums required for every trade you do & is obligatory. Public Liability ins' is also required, as in the UK. In the area ( as in most of France) there are a number of  builders, some registered & some "on the black" ( some with no building experience whatsoever ), so there is competition for work, but if your work is good, the work will come through recommendation.

If you want any advice, just ask.

Richard

Alistair,

Thanks for your input, I will make sure I put this into consideration.

In response to your question about the location of the barn,  from the D940, you turn onto the D54 heading towards Ste Severe, roughly half a mile on the right. Sorry if this is vague but I am still unfamiliar with the surrounding area.

many thanks

George  

Hi Richard

Much appreciated your information and will make sure I use this when Weighing everything up.

Would it be possible to keep a record of your Email address if I need to contact you in the future for more advice?

Thanks George.

We have a holiday home not far from you, near Sazaray.  Last summer we had a French artisan round to quote to replace some of our barn roof tiles.  He was more expensive than 2 others but the work he was going to do, appeared far better - also he was recommended by neighbours.  He recived his 'devis' and i faxed it back.  To date he has still not done anything.

We're over next week, so if I don't get a more postive response from him, then I may need to call upon your services.

We have a good gardner - he is English and lives in La Cellete. He's in the process of levelling the back garden after we have a new fosse installed. 

Hi Jean

Thanks for you Email,  I have been in contact with Berry Property Services regarding a quote for the work I need doing around the barn, but will keep your gardener in mind.

As we are not yet trading in France, unfortunately I am unable to help you on the roof of your barn, although I am relieved to hear that there is a need for quick reliable tradesmen.

Berry Property Services came highly recomended to me, you may want to contact them about your roof.

Thank you again for your help

George

We know Jeremy & Ruth.  I contacted them when we first bought the house.  They introduced to M.Marsais who project managed the partial renovation of the attic, plus renewing the floor in the downstairs bedroom and also, the installation of the fosse septic.  He only uses local artisans and the standard of work is very good. A point to note they arrive somedays at 6.00am.

Rgds

Jean

• 1 month later...

Hi George , we having been living in Pouligny  Notre Dame  for 3 years and it a great place to be .  There is an English builder 2 miles away and gets plenty of work from the French and the English and his French is not good .  Hope that helps a little ..   We shall be pleased to help with any local information you might need   

Regards ,  Peter & Debbie