Builders and fosse septiques... again!

Can anyone give me advice on how to find reputable tradesmen- nearing completion on house purchase and first thing will be installing a fosse as there isn't one- also needing some guttering fixed. We're new to all this and probably a bit wet behind the ears! The husband is the original DIY Disaster so I'd rather someone else up ladders etc! Any advice gratefully received

Try asking your neighbours.

a) It may improve your French (if, like us, we didn't have too much 'technical' grasp of the language.

b) They (in MHO) enjoy being involved in what's going on in 'their' area.

Failing that - check your local Brico shop (or Petit Annonces papers) . . all of ours have numerous Artisans advertising!

Good luck with the completion.

Gill & Alan

If we cannot find a tradesman , we go to the marie as the administrator there knows everybody and is most helpful,you will probably have , to wait a while as there were new laws brought in this year regarding fosse septics and the installers are very busy .I waited a year before I got mine put in but he did a brilliant job and I have had no problems it cost about £4000, three years ago.I lived with the old one which I think was just a pit, home made , for a long time, but it could not cope with washing machine and dishwasher and famiy use.Good Luck.

• 6 months later...

[quote user="Linda P"]Can anyone give me advice on how to find reputable tradesmen- nearing completion on house purchase and first thing will be installing a fosse as there isn't one- also needing some guttering fixed. We're new to all this and probably a bit wet behind the ears! The husband is the original DIY Disaster so I'd rather someone else up ladders etc! Any advice gratefully received[/quote]

If  you see your builder taking the fosse up a ladder you've chosen the wrong bloke! 

I tend not to overuse the Mairie route. Thus, on the very few occasions I have they have suggested somebody, telephoned them and got them round that day to start work !! (though both times it was for smaller things not really more than a day). I'm sure doing this often would soon cause the local artisans to get pi**ed off and I'd probably not see them again.

Asking the previous owners (if possible) might be a good idea as I've found artisans who have turned-up for me seem very proud to tell me which bits of my house they have worked-on before.

One thing is you will probably find the "artisan experience" quite frustrating but it's "a France thing". They seem to turn up to look pretty quickly, can be quite a struggle to get a quote from them and then the fun really starts. They all seem to have more than enough work and very full order books. Thus, expect to wait (6 months plus - and don't be surprised if it is 1yr plus).

Ian

Oh not far from you at all, perhaps 20 minutes, we have good friends in Sardent, a Gendarme & his wife....so make sure you behave!

We're just outside Le Grand Bourg and Benevant L'abbaye.

I notice you do wood wood wood, I butcher wood too!

The reality of your situation is that it will be difficult at best to find honest and reliable folk to work for you, most artisans are stacked out here.

Give me a shout if you want to brainstorm.

Cheers, Chris