Help Please - Places To Visit In Creuse With The "OutLaws"

Hi All

We are taking my "Out-Law's" for a visit to our holiday home in the Vendee in May & we have booked a three night stay in Creuse on the way down. We are staying at Le Moulin De Sansonneche which is near Felletin

Can we please have some ideas of where we can take them to visit, they are unable to walk long distances but like good scenery, rail trips etc.

The forum came up trumps when we took them to the Pyrenees last year, lets see if we can do the same this year!

Many thanks in advance

Marc

Since replies are sparse you might consider visiting the Roman archaeological site (Argentomagus) and museum at Argenton-sur-Creuse. It is very well laid out and set up for visitors. Also you could take a short drive around the hydroelectric dams nearby. (I like science and engineering!)

Alistair

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered for a long time how many responses your posting will have had.... since you wrote most of the postings anyway...[;-)]

You see ... amongst French people there is a general joke about the département of La Creuse (No 23) .... " La Creuse c'est creux...   Comme c'est creux y a rien du tout dedans que de l'air.... "   [:D]

Of note to 'visit' and 'see' : the landscape, the scenery, the tranquillity, the absence of summer touristy crowds!...... in Aubusson : 'la manufacture des tapisseries' (if it's not closed down for cheaper import from China!) Some of the original Versailles tapestries were woven there and Aubusson was famous, for a while, for its weaving industry.... Some engineering projects as mentionned above (the dams) ....  

Hi Missy

It is not very easy trying to find places to take my inlaws, they are both 79 & I have to allow for walking, natural breaks etc as well as trying to show them the beauty that is France!. We have our own little place in the Vendee but like to use a few day's each May to explore. Last year we went to the Pyrenees & the kind people on this forum suggested plenty of places to go & see. I do my own searching but you can not beat those who have been & seen with their own eyes.

Oradore sur Glane has been suggested which we will visit, my Father In Law is an ex Captain in the Army, all of my searching would never have found this place, but thanks to Bugbear & Tresco we have one less day to worry about.

Regards

Marc

Hi,

as a farmhouse owner in the Creuse for the last 18 years there are many places to visit - Felletin itself - famous as is Aubusson for tapestries. Just north of Aubusson is a wonderful chateau at St Maxiant as is there also at Chenerailles, Peyrat la Nonnier and Boussac, pity the Chateau owned by Jean Claude Van Damme just outside Aubusson is not open to the public. There are many wonderful old towns to visit - Auzances, Chambon-Sur-Veouze, Croq, Bellegarde-En-Marche, Champagnat with its loverly leisure lake at La Naute, Evaux-Les-Bains with the Roman Baths and Spa heated by the underlying volcanic strata plus Eiffel's Viaduct Du Tardes railway bridge. There are the medieval towns of Bourganouf and Ahun - plus countless villages, rivers and lakes. Pity you do not have more than 3 days.

Enjoy the "forgotten heart of France"

Greetings

I did reply the other day, but email seemed to get lost somewhere along the line (I do not yet have broadband!)

So, in Felletin visit the square in the centre and go to the church, which is worth a visit as frescoes were uncovered there just a few years ago.  You will notice the office de tourisme on your right as you approach the church.  With any luck it will be open, for further ideas.  There are some views from the garden (French type) to the side of the church.    Abusson to the north worth visit, but a lot of walking to fully appreciate all it has to offer.  Just off the Gueret road, to the north, Moutier d'Ahun is definately worth a visit - we go at least once every year even though we live the other end of the Creuse.   In a westerly direction take the D road via Gentioux-Pigerolles to Lac de Vassiviere.  I think it is at Gentiooux that there is the war memorial the the words 'Maudit soit la guerre' and a boy in a smock shaking his raised fist.   A D road to the east takes you to Crocq with quite dramatic castle remains.  (I am asuming you have a map!

Best wishes

Julia