Dip and Strip

Bonjour, tout le monde.

Does anyone know of a 'Dip and Strip' service anywhere near Issoire/Clermont/Ambert? We are buying a place in Echandelys (near Sauxillanges) and have a lot of shutters to renovate. Although I would obviously love to spend my entire holiday wire brushing and sanding them, but every time I look across the road Mme. Gorgeous who runs the Relais is cooking something that would make even the divine Nigella throw a hissy fit. Therefore I need to find someone to help me spend more time doing what we have bought this house for, i.e. become even more French. This does involve being in the Relais for a major part of the day. Apparently.

Merci beaucoup,

Basil

wooden shutters don't take that long actually, with a hot-air stripper. I did all ours in under a week (strip, fill, undercoat x 2 and paint x 2.)

I may have done them too well though, as trying to 'update' the colour (bleu de Provence clashed with the new roof tiles) the new paint won't stick very well. Serves me right for buying cheap paint this time!

I need to do this as well. Some of our shutters that are on French doors have very badly peeling paint so I definitely need to strip them right back. I am hopeless at DIY but was wondering why no one has mentioned paint stripper. I bought some the other day because on the tin there is a photo of the paint coming off like butter, hope it actually works this way. However, because it hasn't been mentioned in this thread I am starting to have my doubts. [:(]

Hi WJT.... I brought out to France some interior doors (surplus to requirements) intending to strip and use them (the doors, not me).  Nothing, but nothing took the paint right off - it was some sort of ghastly shellack stuff - until I accidently left the doors outside and forgot them in a particularly rainy period.  When I remembered them and brought them inside, the paint was blistering and has (nearly) all come off.  Perhaps we have acid rain here in the SW!  Jen

[quote user="Gemonimo"]Hi WJT.... I brought out to France some interior doors (surplus to requirements) intending to strip and use them (the doors, not me).  Nothing, but nothing took the paint right off - it was some sort of ghastly shellack stuff - until I accidently left the doors outside and forgot them in a particularly rainy period.  When I remembered them and brought them inside, the paint was blistering and has (nearly) all come off.  Perhaps we have acid rain here in the SW!  Jen
[/quote]

Hi Gemonimo, perhaps that's why ours are in such bad shape to begin with. The area on the shutters near the ground where the rain hits against them is really bad. Encouraging to hear it may come off fairly easy, just hope the paint stripper will work on the rest. [:)]

Paint stripper is expensive and leaves a wax deposit behind which if not washed with solvent can prevent your paint from drying.

Generally contains a very stong solvent which therefore needs good ventilation to remove.-if you use this method take doors or shutters outside .

Some solvents can give problems to your health.

SANDING with hand or electric tools with face mask for dust is safer.

Thank you Ab, I wasn't aware of the dangers with paint stripper, will definitely heed your advice. I have recently painted some garage doors that were in similar condition. I tried to sand them down the best I could by hand and with a small electric sander but they still came out pretty lumpy. So I was looking for something that would for certain take the paint right back to bare wood. I will try the sanding first before using the paint stripper as a last resort.

Thanks, Pierre and the rest of you who have replied.

I'd rather not use Nitromors; although it does a fantastic job of removing every type of paint very quickly it needs a lot of washing away and is dangerously caustic. I would strongly recommend wearing long sleeves, goggles and a mask. ( Good grief, I sound like a tedious 'Elf an' Safety officer), but Nitromors doesn't half sting. Never mind, this sounds like a perfect excuse to wander round the Aladin's Cave that is Brico Depot and buy another power sander, or, for that matter, anything with a plug on that makes a lot of noise.

It's a bloke thing...

A bientot,

Basil

Splendid!  my OH can never seem to grasp the difference between 'need' another power tool and 'want' one.

Incidently, if the action is 'Sanding' why did my old woodwork teacher always tell me off whenever I refered to the abrasive as 'Sandpaper' and insisted I call it 'Glasspaper'?  Surely that would make the action 'Glassing' which as I understand it is something else entirely, popular in Glasgow drinking establishments I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

First encounter with you guys despite living here full-time for over a year.  We have a house with so many shutters to windows and french windows in such desperate condition, that we were inundated by roving painters offering to do them 'for a good price'.

We bought good quality preservative and breathable opaque acrylic paint from UK.  We tried the stripper- awful for all the reasons that have been stated, now we are using the hot gun to get worst off, followed by the sandpaper, worth making a good job of it.  Coat with preservative, then three coats of paint - that should last us about ten years at least. 

Ours came off the hinges easily, we stripped the ironmongery and made sure we knew which shutter it belonged too(very important!), painted it with hammerite, gives them a great finish.

Hope this may help.  My other half is a new tool freak too, but this is a job that in the end is just hard graft and getting on with it.