Gimel les Cascades and Beaulieu sur Dordogne

For a great day out, Gimel les Cascades is refreshing on a hot day, standing in the spray of the waterfalls.  You will need to time it right.   Best time to go is the day after a heavy rainfall.

Not good for those with wobbly legs or who have walking difficulties, especially on uneven surfaces, but if you can make it down the steps to the bottom waterfall, it's well worth it.  The steps are either concrete, stone, soil or tree trunk, with some man made wooden steps and either metal or wooden handrails.

We then had a 15€ menu at the Relais St Jacques and for my starter I had iced melon which was just what was needed on a roasting hot day.  A bit weird that the melon came on a plate with a couple of lettuce leaves, but  it was very refreshing.

We then decided to go the extra 35km to Beaulieu sur Dordogne, had a pleasant stroll across the weir, sat on a bench on the grassy banks of the river under a shady tree, then had a stroll around the town, before heading home.

So just in case you are interested.  I've put together a little slide show which you can see on  http://jan19230.phanfare.com

Enjoy and please feel free to leave comments on the website.

Jan

Thanks Clair

I always thought Beaulieu was so far away from us, but really it's not, so will definately make the effort to get to the Strawberry Fayre next year.

We've got the Fete de la Framboise coming up on 11th July in Conceze where they make the world's largest raspberry tart.  It's fascinating to watch and even tastier to eat.  Usually stalls and sales of anything to do with Raspberry's.

Jan

Lovely photos - I love going to Gimel, although I'm too mean to pay to see the falls so we take the walk by the river through the woods instead. I also really enjoy visiting the small artisan shops, there is one particular jewellery/pottery shop I could buy the whole stock of!

Yes, it was Martha's Harbour by All About Eve.  Unfortunately  they were slated after appearing on TOTP because they completely lost it when their soundtrack broke down and it was so obvious they were miming .  However, she has a beautiful voice and this track is one of my favourites along with December and Pearl Fisherman.

Jan