New airport for Tours?

Don't know if there is a petition to sign! We had heard from French friends nearby that there was talk of a new airport (and I gather Tours Airport usage went up quite a lot last year) and as I mentioned, there are signs in the fields by the road, some 10 mins or so out of Loches. I had also heard that some of the cheaper carriers were looking for alternatives to Tours Airport but I cannot find anything more on the Web

I can't for the life of me see why Tours would need a new airport, the one they've got is totally under used, plus I believe the air-force is pulling out of Tours in the future. Also according to your information Bert; the new airport would be Loches Airport surely. The cost of building a new airport would be huge and I can't see the local councils getting any financial benefits from such a project. I often wonder why Tours council subsidises RyanAir as most of the passengers who use the airport immediately get into cars and drive some distance from Tours, not many actually spend their money locally.

Our comm de comms got millions of EU aid to build a white elephant international airport that has never recieved one commercial flight since it opened in 2007, didnt stop them from spending even more money to build a second aérogare last year despite the first one never having ever seen a paying passenger.

It created loads of employment during the construction and continues to do so as they add needless parts to it, I think there are 7 full time staff which must be a record for an international airport!

They are mid way through building a complete science and research park to go with the phantom airport, currently they are spending one million euros to spiv up my road that leads to the airport as it is deemed to be its "vitrine".

I have no complaints about the latter it is a present from heaven for me but the whole thing is to date a monstrous waste of public money.

But if your talking about Amiens/Albert/Picardie International at least it receives 9000 flights a year, largely related to Airbus Industries. I don't think the Rillettes and Rillons de Tours would support that level of activity.

From what I can gather on Google.fr, it appears that there have been a number of demonstrations in and around Tours and Loches against the new airport project at Notre-Dame-Des-Landes, closer to Nantes.

[url]http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/Indre-et-Loire/Actualite/Faits-divers-justice/n/Contenus/Articles/2012/12/16/Manifestation-contre-l-aeroport-de-Nantes[/url]

[url]http://tours.mediaslibres.org/dernieres-nouvelles-du-collectif.html[/url]

It appears that, after the CRS were brought in to quash demos in Nantes, several opposition groups sprung up elsewhere across France, and I guess what you saw was one of these.