Limousin Advice

Hi - I posted this under the general forum yesterday but I think this is the right place for it !

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings all - first post here !

Need some advice on the general area of the Limousin.

We are looking to buy a house for mainly family holiday use but also for a holiday let for a couple of months during the middle of summer (we are looking into the legal/tax aspects of that also).

Also to spend more time there during retirement.

I should also say that this will not be an expensive home purchase and our main home will be still in the UK.

The area we are targeting is roughly within this:

North - Limoge,

South - Gourdon,

East - Perigueux,

West - Tulle.

We are familiar with the Southern part of this area but not the Northern part eg. above Brive.

Whilst we intend to explore this area this summer I wondered if I could garner advice and general opinion on peoples favourite spots for things to do, exploring, activities, beautiful scenery etc ? (and also as a nice place to live)

Would be useful to have a few thoughts to help with our research.

Thanks all ...

Hello and welcome to the forum. We live just to the north of Uzerche, having moved here six years ago from 15 kms further south (Perpezac-le-Noir) where we were for 7 years. Looking at your preferred area the first thing I would say is that property in Correze/Haute Vienne is generally cheaper than in the Dordogne (Perigueux) and the Lot (Gourdon).

The second thing that occurred to me is that if you using it for holidays and planning holiday lets getting to the property can make quite a difference, so being within reasonably easy reach of the A.20 autoroute, the two airports at Limoges and Brive Souillac and maybe even the main line train from Paris to Toulouse can be very relevant.

I have also sent you a PM

Thanks Rob Roy

Good advice on the train and road access - I was mainly focusing on being somewhere within an hour or so of both Limoges and Bergerac airports so having all routes covered is further help for our research !

Thanks for the PM - have replied...

• 11 months later...
[quote user="Rob Roy"]Hello and welcome to the forum. We live just to the north of Uzerche, having moved here six years ago from 15 kms further south (Perpezac-le-Noir) where we were for 7 years. Looking at your preferred area the first thing I would say is that property in Correze/Haute Vienne is generally cheaper than in the Dordogne (Perigueux) and the Lot (Gourdon).

The second thing that occurred to me is that if you using it for holidays and planning holiday lets getting to the property can make quite a difference, so being within reasonably easy reach of the A.20 autoroute, the two airports at Limoges and Brive Souillac and maybe even the main line train from Paris to Toulouse can be very relevant.

I have also sent you a PM[/quote]

Correze can be cheap BUT it can also be remote with small villages with not many facilities locally. As my brother said-who also had a house over here-how far do you want to travel because you've run out of milk?

The obvious thing is a little forward planning so you don't run out of milk!

I'm not sure what part of Correze you are thinking about but most of it is no more remote than Haute Vienne or Dordogne; I would say the Cruse is perhaps more remote.

Besides, the Correze and Haute Vienne have the benefit of easy access to the A.20 something of benefit when you want to attract clients.