Moving to Correze

Well obviously you know the Correze, otherwise you wouldn't be intent on moving there, so why don't 'you' go for where you like and rent before you buy, if that is what you want to do. For me it is the best way, just in case one makes a bad choice.

Don't forget about health care, especially if you are under UK state retirement age when you move.

[quote user="NormanH"]I second that. Rent over a winter in a town where you might be interested in settling and see if you can take the daily monotony of life in rural France once the tourists have left.

[/quote]

Huh, what are you talking about?

I take it that you have never lived in rural France, Norman.  Believe me, life in rural France is full of interest as well as tranquillity and I cannot recommend it highly enough[:D]

[:D]LOL, I have and my village could be a pretty dead place in both summer and winter. And we had more associations than any other village aux alentours. Mid summer lots of people would be away, and apart from the odd 'fete'/'spectacle' all the assoc were finished for the summer. And winter, well, that would depend on what one liked to do and who one liked to mix with.

No way would I move back, happy it suits you mint, but I am truly all campagned-out apart from holidays and days out, absolutely love those.

• 2 months later...
We're currently thinking about moving to Objat near Brive, renting first while we decide if it's for us and look for a property.

I'd love to hear about living there. I'm particularly interested in the weather (October - May especially). Are the locals friendly? We're staying in Brive at the moment and find everyone to be very nice but, of course, that's just the surface. Is it a place which has a lot of ex-pats?

Anything you can think of, really. Many thanks in advance.

From my experience a lot of Brits have totally unrealistic expectations about the winter weather in France and are shocked to find it as cold and wet as they left behind in the UK!

I am on the Med coast not far from Sainte Maxime and in recent years the weather from the end of October to April has been unusually wet, cold and unsettled. Inland can get very cold!

Some of us from UK know the sort of winter weather to expect, of course not all by any means, but there are many French people who move south on retirement and get a big shock when winter comes around. I know about 25 to 30 couples who had no idea about winters down here; two of the couples now travel abroad for between 2 to 4 months in winter.

Hi

To the north of Brive are deep valleys ,keep out of them it stays very frosty in winter

Objat is a lovely town as is St Robert

Spring in this region is fine wetting rain Winter is wet and cold

I liked it there but moved to the Pays Basque after 8 years but after another 10 years ended up in the Aude best of luck live the life

PS I have an old friend with me now who has lived near Objat since 1990 and still loves it