Meaning of 'encours'

bkm7

Am asking for a second CB on a Bousorama Banque online account. Any ideas what 'encours' means in this context? Not in my 937 page Harraps!

"Nous vous informons que les encours nécessaires pour la commande de visa internationale sur un compte joint sont de 7500 euros, c'est pour cette raison que la commande de la carte bancaire ne peut pas aboutir."

Many thanks

Barry

"encours" seems to translate (approximately!) as uncleared effects.   It appears that they are not willing to let you have a card anyway...

Do they means perhaps that they don't think your monthly credits to the account are big enough for you to have two cards?

Probably s the best way forward would be to ask them to explain.

From their website

Conditions d’octroi (sans obligation de domiciliation des revenus)

Pour un titulaire d’une carte Visa

Revenus de 1 200 € nets/mois minimum

ou

5 000 € d’encours dans nos livres

Pour deux titulaires de deux cartes Visa

Revenus de 2 025 € nets/mois minimum

ou

7 500 € d’encours dans nos livres

IE you either need a certain level of income or to hold a minimum balance in an accountant with them

Many thanks for the replies. So it means balance on account! I now remember when I took out the first card some years ago they wanted a copy of our tax return showing the 'Revenu fiscal de reference' which satisfied them.

Thanks for you help.

Barry

Barry, I was asking for opinions and experiences of on-line accounts recently on the forum.

Boursarama is one of 2 or 3 banks that I am considering (thank you, Norman, for your original recommendation).

Do you mind saying briefly how you find them?

I also asked about the feasibility of having just an on-line bank so may I just ask you whether you have a High St as well as Boursorama account?

I'd be most grateful if you don't mind telling me, svp.

Hi Mint. Opened a joint account with Boursorama 4 years ago now and it has proved to be excellent. Virements easy to setup and operate. I migrated all the DD's, EDF/SFR/Impôts etc.etc.myself whilst leaving enough cash in the High Street account in case something went wrong. I have not used the High Street bank account again. I use Currencyfair to bring funds from the UK; that leaves our UK bank in the morning and is in the Bourso account before going to bed! We took out the 3.50€ per month over against fraudulent use of the account. If you take the Carte Visa Premier there is a shedload of good travelling type cover including "La Garantie Véhicule de Location". Am sure we'll get this current problem sorted - we want to have a joint account (which only I use) and an account in MOH's name only with a CC to move her from a High Street account where she is still paying for a CC!

Hope this helps

Barry

I rarely use my paper dictionary these days and often use larousse.fr  to look up french words.

http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/en-cours/29255?q=encours#29130

encours

nom masculin invariable

• Montant des effets escomptés par une banque qui ne sont pas encore arrivés à échéance.
  • Ce qui, dans une entreprise, est en

train de subir une opération ; matières et produits se trouvant dans

l'atelier avant et après les opérations, et non dans les magasins.

[quote user="bkm7"]Hi Mint. Opened a joint account with Boursorama 4 years ago now and it has proved to be excellent. Virements easy to setup and operate. I migrated all the DD's, EDF/SFR/Impôts etc.etc.myself whilst leaving enough cash in the High Street account in case something went wrong. I have not used the High Street bank account again. I use Currencyfair to bring funds from the UK; that leaves our UK bank in the morning and is in the Bourso account before going to bed! We took out the 3.50€ per month over against fraudulent use of the account. If you take the Carte Visa Premier there is a shedload of good travelling type cover including "La Garantie Véhicule de Location". Am sure we'll get this current problem sorted - we want to have a joint account (which only I use) and an account in MOH's name only with a CC to move her from a High Street account where she is still paying for a CC!

Hope this helps

Barry[/quote]

Barry, thank you very much.

I am now going to try opening an account.

My French is OK, perfectly good enough for everyday use, but hélas my computer and any skills relating to the use of technology are rather less than satisfactory.

Following some very unhappy experiences with CA, I only have the one DD and that's to EDF.  Everyone else gets paid by cheque though I will pay by virement at special request.

Thanks again.

More questions, sorry Barry.

I have now filled in a form for Boursorama and I suppose they will send me something through the post?

I would like to ask you one more thing.  If you want to do a transfer from Bourso in euros to your Currency Fair account, can you do it and what are the limits?

I now have the much vaunted Certicode for la Banque Postale, discussed on another thread of mine, and guess what, I can't do it to a bank in Ireland where Currency Fair is!

It's all so frustrating.  I can send thousands of pounds to Currency Fair from my Nationwide account, no probs.

Mind you, I DO have a grouse with Nationwide.  Out of the blue, I got a cheque from IR, completely unasked for as I couldn't be bothered to fill in any more IR forms.  It was for overpaid tax, taken out at source by Dorset LA.  I sent it to the Nationwide branch where I originally opened the account and it was returned because it was in my maiden name, even though it was sent to my address in France and even though the Council pay me by bank credit using that very same name.

I asked them how many customers they had with my name and French address (tiny village) on their books?  And how seeing as the cheque was sent by the Inland Revenue, did they think the IR is now bankrupt and wouldn't be able to honour their cheque? 

I have now also opened an account with ING Direct (I used to have an account when I was in the UK but had to close it when I came to live full-time in France) and I think I'd just have to send them a cheque with the application as the limit for a virement with Banque Postale is only 500 euros.

If they want the French economy to grow and be competitive with, say, the UK, they would have to do something about their antiquated banking system.

Sorry for the rant.  I have spent a total of some 4 hours over the weekend both face-to-face, and via the phone with banks.  I wish I could just put my money into a biscuit tin and have full access to it whenever I wish.

Good Morning Mint

After opening a joint account with Boursorama we each received a letter with our 'identifiant' and a 'mot de passe' to be changed at first logon.

I have only used CurrencyFair to make payments from GBP to Euros, SA Rand and AUS$, however I believe that you will set up a SEPA virement in your Boursorama account using the BIC/SWIFT/IBAN provided by CurrencyFair. Unless the sums involved are very large I do not imagine that Boursorama will require a 'justificatif' for the transfer to be completed.

Hope this helps

Barry

This is actually one of those words isn't it.

I would happily use 'en   cours'  to say 'preparing', 'progressing' 'dealing with'.  But that is two words and not encours.

To me this sentence still made perfect sense to me using the 'en   cours'.  That is what you get when you learn street french, you don't see it written and cannot see how words are broken down.

My french is as it is and I still do very well with it........... as you can see in this case....[Www] considering!

[:D]

It is a dangerous word if you think it means an overdraft.

It is the limit that has been agreed with the bank to which you can go into the red in any one month, but you must go back into the black again the next month, so it isn't like an English overdraft which is in fact a sort of rolling credit.

An example:

soggybanana has an agreed limit for his découvert of 500€

He drinks to excess so in August he  places a large order with a local caviste which takes him overdrawn by 350€

The next month out of his meagre pension he has to be sure that he goes back into the black for at least 24hrs, so in addition to his normal expenses he must budget for that in the month. It can be a question of juggling with timing, so that he delays other payments until after the 350 has been re-imbursed, but he can't just stay 350€ overdrawn month after month.

If he wants to do that he must apply for a crédit à la consommation or one of those crédit revolving cards which are rather like UK credit cards.

Moral: NEVER assume that a French term means the same as its English 'translation'

That is why I often appear to be being pedantic in insisting on using French or English terms, in order to distinguish between them..

Norman, you are "simply the best" in Tina Turner's words!  Now you know I am not a fan of pop music generally but this was so ubiquitous in the 1990s that it even penetrated all the barriers I'd put up over the years against any sort of pop music[:)]

Thank you for the explanation.  Not that I have any thoughts of running an overdraft though, if soggybanana does ask me, I'd probably pay his drinks bill for August provided he promises to pay me back by Christmas [;-)]

French is a bit like what Humpty Dumpty says then?  Can't quote directly but it's something like language means exactly what I want it to mean, no more, no less.

Yes, be very careful with the French "overdraft" facility. We went into the red 3 months running earlier this year when there was no work. On each occasion it was much less than our agreed découvert, and on each occasion our account was brought back into credit in full within the 30 days. During the 4th month, when the account was well in the black, we received a letter to say that our découvert was now nil, rien, zilch.....and it will probably remain that way for ever.

lol, this ain't the UK :-(