Yep, £4 surcharge going out and 6 euros surcharge coming back (last Sunday). So much for the guaranteed price of the "SuperTicket".

And once again the usual 40-minute-late departure from Boulogne, even though there was little other sea traffic. And both crossings took over an hour as usual rather than the claimed 52 minutes - on a dead flat sea.

Now I know all you fans will say it's cheap blah blah blah. But is it too much to expect people to do what they claim?  If they called themselves "CheapFerries" and said the crossing takes just over an hour and is frequently a bit late then customers would know what to expect and could have no complaints.

I totally agree Alan. I'ts bad marketing in my view and one that leaves a bad taste when you are given a price, given a different service, and then have cash winkled out of you when you arrive at the port.

Think I'll give them a miss in future. The coffee in their little cafe is not cheap either.... or the beer and wine they try to sell you on the way back to the UK!

• 1 month later...

[quote]Service is terrible, and the call centre staff are most unhelpful when trying to make an amendment. I will never use them again, however thay have brought a common sense pricing approach from the big ...[/quote]

As they say - Ya gets what ya pays fer!

• 2 weeks later...

They've just mailed out a grovelling apology about the fuel surcharge and promised never to do it again! I beleive the other ferrry companies also had a surcharge running. We're using them next week so, fingers crossed it'll be ok...

They also have a new offer of 10 tickets for £190 or 36 hr return for £25. Is that the cheapest ever?

• 1 month later...

"Service is terrible, and the call centre staff are most unhelpful when trying to make an amendment. I will never use them again, however thay have brought a common sense pricing approach from the big boys."

I must be the lucky one here, I swear by Speedferries- 3 times last year, no surcharge, not bad service.

I have never had problems with their call centre.

Yep a little late loading and on one occassion 30 mins late, but had the same with Sea France. At £50.00 return + a free crossing, I can put up with that.

They are the Easyjet of the seas!!

I have been trying to book a ferry for the start of March.

No luck at all.

Speedferries are being serviced.  Hoverspeed have gone.  Transmanche, no service.  Brittany Ferries are 'avin a laff!  From St Malo it is 322€ and from the 'cheaper' ports of Caen and Cherbourg, 320€.  Looks like Seafrance or P.O. from Calais.

Whatever happened to our own boat? The 'Bryan Ferry'?

Have you bought her yet Furryknickers?

[:)]

Alexis, try LD Lines - always worth a go, but don't be surprised if it isn't much cheaper than Brittany.

Also try BF's British site, it is a myth that crossing are cheaper if booked in France. I don't think I hardly ever pay more than £150 apart from in August, or May half term. If you can avoid overnight crossings and travel on Tuesdays it helps too (though the Tuesday fare applies to most weekdays at present). I'm doing Mon to Sun (6 days) next week, going via St Malo, returning via Caen, outside cabin both ways, and it was less than £150 (with discount card).

I too have been trying to book for March and I agree with Alexis, BF around £300+, St Malo, £259.00 Caen and LD lines over £300.00 too. Tried every route and they all work out between £270-£350.00

Found Transmanche cheaper ( at the end of March) (£180 ish) but have opted for Speedferries now instead.

It is certainly no cheaper from the UK site!

We just came back with Speedferries on their £25 deal. We were quite happy with the boat and the service. Our crossings both ways were punctual and loading was a doddle and very quick. No surcharges. I couldn't really see what others have found to criticise on the boat itself. Seats ok. toilets ok. Ok so not much in the way of food but coffee was hot and (unfortunately) english style but its only an hours crossing so I don't think we'll be going back to "the pirates".

I booked with P. & O. this morning.  Calais-Dover return (ha ha. I'll be back) with the brum brum for 98€ including the fuel surcharge.  In February.

I'm all excited just thinking about it.......

Watch out Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Waitrose ..........  NOT Tesco.