Weather website

I have been looking at this website regularly and find it very accurate on a day-to-day basis.

wwwa.accuweather.com/

I've got it updating itself on my status bar (through Firefox) and it accurately predicted a safe window in the weather to do a quick roof repair between sleety showers!!

According to tonight's prediction, we should have our first overnight frost...

I'm constantly surprised by how off the weathermen (or women) are here - for example, they forecasted rain all day today, but there's a bright blue sky outside and not a cloud in sight! 

Anyways, fr.weather.com is the most accurate site I've found, it's a division of the American "Weather Channel" site.

I agree about the accuracy of fr.weather.com. Also I have found http://www.lafranceagricole.fr/index.php?menu=meteo&prevision=jour&page=METEO_DEPARTEMENTALE_POPUP&departement=72 pretty accurate on rainfall. I don't know where they get the data from (and its a max of a few days) but they give the amount of rain expected each day and seems quite accurate (for weather forecasts).

I used to use Accuweather but they were not very accurate.

Ian

I too was surprised by how inaccurate some weather sites could be, until I realised that most were automatically linking our request to a nearby town in our department which had a totally different geographic situation from our village.

The town in question is in an open valley at 260m altitude. We are surrounded by (small) peaks and valleys at an altitude of 650m. Since changing the local reference to Aurillac, a nearby town situated much like our village, the accuracy has improved tremendously.

As well as the above mentioned website, I too regularly consult MétéoFrance

If you click on the map, you can see a much more localised area, as well as details of which weather station applies to your request. There's also a wealth of details concerning altitude, air pressure, wind speed...

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread.

We use www.meteoconsult.fr . The daily forcast is a freebe, but we pay a subscription and you can get the weather for anywhere in the world. We usually stick to our village, it goes down to villages, and it hs been pretty good. It gives guesses for upto 2 weakz in advance too. The temps tend to be a bit different to what our outside sensor tells us, but not sure if it is us or them who are out, but normally if it says rain then we get at least a little...

I am reminded of a breakfast radio programme we used to listen to in the 80s when we lived in the Birmingham area - Les Ross on BRMB. He used to blame the poor record of their weather forecaster on the station's practice of simply repeating the previous year's forecasts to save money.

He also had a saying for when the weather wasn't improving - "It's getting darker as it gets lighter". We still say this in our family now.

His comments may not have been orginal but they were new to us. Funny how these silly things stick.

A Radio 4 met guy once said that he could always get part of his forcast correct by looking out of the window to see what it was like on his way into the studio! Well, they do have a Cray, the fastest and most powerful mainframe computer in the world. At least it used to be...

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone use    http://www.wunderground.com/global/FR.html     You look for the nearest town and get a week's forecast, usually quite accurate. I like the pictures too of the sun and storm etc. You can also easily find other towns all over the world - our family is scattered far and wide in UK, Kuwait, Kodai Kanal etc, and I like to be able to know what the weather's like with them. Pat.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I have just found that I can get Quillans weather via MSN http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?&wealocations=wc:27124&setunit=C and there is a 10 day forcast as well. If I want it in French then I can go to http://meteo.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:27124

[/quote]

quillan

just tried your weather site.  brilliant.  couldn't find our village but found the nearest town.  thank you

[quote user="sweet 17"]just tried your weather site.  brilliant.  couldn't find our village but found the nearest town.  thank you[/quote]

In our case, the nearest town associated to our village and postcode is actually 500m lower in altitude and in a narrow valley, so the weather shown is hugely inaccurate: the current temp is shown as -1ºC no wind when it's already -6º with a northerly outside...

• 6 months later...

[quote user="Patf"]Does anyone use    http://www.wunderground.com/global/FR.html     You look for the nearest town and get a week's forecast, usually quite accurate. I like the pictures too of the sun and storm etc. You can also easily find other towns all over the world - our family is scattered far and wide in UK, Kuwait, Kodai Kanal etc, and I like to be able to know what the weather's like with them. Pat.
[/quote]

I like that one, too (use it and Accuweather and MeteoConsult and Meteo France as I'm a weather junkie and find each of them useful in its own way).  I especially like being able to print the star charts as I am (very belatedly) trying to learn to identify constellations other than Orion. [:D]

Hi,

You could try this site that our french friends recommended. Great video, very friendly little fellow, if you have broadband, or at least 512k.

www.lachainemeteo.com/aff_ville.php?langue=fr&num_pays=63&nom_pays=france

Just choose your commune et voila!

Gives a 12 day forecast.........though not sure of the accuracy that far in advance.

Cheers,

Tony