Decree sets out no-deal rules for Britons in France

Those of us who are concerned have been keeping a discreet eye on things for some time to the extent that we no longer feel the need to mention it with any frequency.

If however there were to be a change of circumstances then you can be sure that we will be posting like rats up a drainpipe…?

I would never trust such anglophone sites to get anything right.
In any case the legifrance site has official status

I quote from the 'Livret de Citoyen' that one has to know if one wishes to take French nationality:

"Comment pouvez-vous vous

renseigner sur les lois et les

règles en vigueur ?

• Toutes les lois, souvent regroupées

en codes, sont disponibles sur

internet : www.legifrance.gouv.fr"

Norman, do you know anything about RIFT?

They are not like Connexion, who are well known for inaccurate information.

RIFT (and British in Europe) have been lobbying and putting to evidence to UK parliamentary committees and meeting with the French Government on behalf of those of us in France https://www.remaininfrance.org/some-of-our-work.html

They are publishing papers which provide useful information to those of us in France who are less able st understanding all the nuances of any French legislation on Brexit and other citizen-related matters.

You are quite welcome to ignore anything they produce, but perhaps, if you have superior knowledge, you should offer to assist them so as to help us all?

RIFT and British in Europe have no mandate to "put evidence to UK parliamentary committees and meet with the French Government on anyone's behalf.
They are  a self-elected group.

I do not claim superior knowledge unlike these self-important busy bodies.

I simply refer to official documents published by the country in which I live.

For my part I can claim to have accurately predicted that those of us with a carte de séjour would simply have to exchange it for the new document; something that caused a lot of debate on here a while back.

• Chapitre

II : Droit au séjour des ressortissants britanniques et des membres de

leur famille titulaires de la carte de séjour permanent prévue à

l'article L. 122-1 du code de l'entrée et du séjour des étrangers et du

droit d'asile

Pour l'application du 1° du I et du 1° du III de l'article 3 de l'ordonnance du 6 février 2019 susvisée,

le ressortissant britannique ou le ressortissant de pays tiers autre

que britannique membre de sa famille, titulaires de la carte de séjour

permanent prévue à l'article L. 122-1 du code de l'entrée et du séjour des étrangers et du droit d'asile et sollicitant la carte de résident mentionnée à l'article L. 314-8 du même code, doit présenter à l'appui de sa demande :

1° Un passeport en cours de validité ;

2° Le titre de séjour dont il était titulaire précédemment.

Norman wrote "For my part I can claim to have accurately predicted that those of us with a carte de séjour would simply have to exchange it for the new document; something that caused a lot of debate on here a while back."

He should have said "titulaires de la carte de séjour permanent"

RIFT have now published another note for those with less than 5 years residence, including those with an initial carte de séjour.

Even if you already hold an initial carte de séjour as an EU citizen, there is no automatic exchange for a new card - you have to make a complete new application for a new status.

https://remaininfrance.blogspot.com/2019/04/no-deal-decree-and-nitty-gritty-of-your_4.html

I agree with Pomme that Rift provide the most accurate interpretation of the documents, as they have been involved in providing much of the evidence to and liaison with the French ministries. They certainly seem clearer and more informed than the British Embassy!

There are lots of things that are unclear in the French law at the moment..in particular it is not clear as to whether you have to submit 5 years of proof or just evidence of current income for the permanent CDS if you don't currently hold a card. Most prefectures have now stopped issuing cards to British citizens until the situation is clearer and the process, which will start next week if the UK crash out, has still not been decided.

• 1 year later...
Perhaps it's this virus thing that means peoples eye's have moved off the ball a bit. The Withdrawal Agreement which was signed off by the EU and UK on October 17 2019 came into effect as of February 1st 2020 therefore there is a deal already in place. Technically then the UK has left the EU but there is a handover period where each party disengages from the other which is referred to as the transition period which is also the period that was set by the UK to get a trade dal from the EU. The transition date is set in stone unless both parties decide to change it which seems unlikely in the case of the UK even with this virus thing going on. However if there is no trade deal it will not effect the rights of EU residents in the UK and UK residents in the EU.

What some find confusing is the difference between the withdrawal deal (already done, dusted and signed) and the trade deal (not done, dusted and signed) which is currently being negotiated.

Most EU countries released on February 2nd 2020 (the day after) their rules/laws on how they will process those currently resident. Therefore looking at the link given in the op and Normans comments that's what it is going to be. Anything other is just wishful thinking.

This is not unique to France and basically a lot of countries are setting the same rules and laws. Certainly the rules/law in Germany are very similar to those (using Google translation) in the link. All member states rules/laws on this issue are basically mirrors of how the UK deals with EU citizens who are resident there whose rules/laws are also now set.

In other words as Norman points out if it is on the governments website which is up to date (which it appears to be) then that's what you should follow.