Road sign

St Bernard

[quote user="Opalienne"]My favourite is an English one: "soft verges".  I imagine it must have been responsible for any number of accidents caused by French drivers laughing uncontrollably! [/quote]

I always have a tiny chuckle to myself when I see that one !

Clermont Ferrand had a T junction, one sign said Toutes directions, the other sign said Autres directions. Suitable ingredients for an instant row as my dear husband expected me to know where each of these roads were going to. And one can hardly make a logical guess in France, what with contre allees and roads that disappear up their own derrieres as soon as one takes them. So we simply guessed and as it happened were on the right road, much to my relief.

Not a road sign, but the topic reminds me that the first version of the Toyota MR2 sportscar was called something else in France - try saying MR2 in French and you'll see why. Strangely, the later version was/is still badged the MR2, so Toyota must have thought it a risk worth taking. For similar reasons the Vauxhall Nova never went down very well in Spain.

• 2 months later...

CUL? please explain. 

I was driving in Ireland of all places.  Took a bend a sign said slow.  Carried on around the bend another sign said slower.  The truth!! 

Also Gwesty is welsh for hotel.  In wales you have the welsh and english on a sign.  My english friend thought Gwesty Hotel chain had the monopoly.

[quote user="Chrissie"]

I heard of an American girl on a coach trip across Australia who announced on the third day that there seemed to be an awful lot of small towns called "Truck Bay"........

Chrissie (81)

When I first came here I thought all the villages were called Rappel.  But hey! I would wouldn't I?[8-)]

I'm in 81 too[:)]

[/quote]

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

CUL? please explain. 

I was driving in Ireland of all places.  Took a bend a sign said slow.  Carried on around the bend another sign said slower.  The truth!! 

Also Gwesty is welsh for hotel.  In wales you have the welsh and english on a sign.  My english friend thought Gwesty Hotel chain had the monopoly.

[/quote]

Ass, sweetie! [:$]

KKK will be very embarrassed about this one!  A couple of years ago she and her family came over to France and while driving down decided to look for a hotel to spend the night.  They saw a nice big one in the town centre that looked very smart, flower boxes,beautiful brick work etc...

Because she sounds like the woman who's a french spy off 'Allo 'Allo when she tries to speak french she sent her 13 year old son in to inquire if there was a room available for them.  The poor child came running out red as a beetroot after he tried  to book a room from the mayor of the town.

You've guessed - the name of the hotel? "HOTEL DE VILLE"  And she has the cheek to complain about poodles at the check-out![:^)]