Going off to France ?? ...

Missy

This is an article I found in the Telegraph of today (10th June)

>>>Dinghy man rescued 'fleeing Britain'

A man fed up with life in Britain had to be rescued after trying to row to France in a four-foot inflatable dinghy, the coastguard said yesterday.

The alarm was raised when he began to drift a mile-and-a-half off Barry Island, south Wales. Gerry Adams, for Barry Dock lifeboat, said :"The man was apparently angered because of some accommodation problems at this hostel in Cardiff. At the beach he kept shouting, 'I'm fed up with Wales, I'm going to go to France'."

The lifeboat brought him back less than 45 minutes into his journey.<<<

As tragic this man's plea is, you can't help a smile ....

Look at it this way Dick, any way from Barry is the correct way. Have you ever been there?[:-))]

I am convinced that they invented piles there. I was unfortunate enough to have to spend 18 months at R.A.F. St Athans, just down the road, as a Boy Entrant to do my training and I can assure you that if I had been able to get hold of a dingy I would have done the same!!!! I swore blind that I would NEVER go back there and I never have!

John.

Not only have I been to Barry I have TWICE taken school parties to Butlin's, Barry Island. Near to the scrapyard with all the old steam locos in it.

Actually, it has got quite a nice beach, and the people were very pleasant - I expect they thought we might take them away with us. But the place is sadly lacking in glamour...

We were even banned from the shooting stalls. They found out that we were in the R.A.F. St Athan small boar shooting team (nothing to do with the jar opening thread!) and we could sort out the screwed up sights on the rifles with the first shot and then get a prize every time! No sense of humour!

John.

If you want glamour you should go a little way along the coast to Sully and look at the nurse's home (is it still that I wonder ?) which used to be a sanitorium. A lovely deco building right on the beach.

Hoddy

• 4 weeks later...

[quote user="Patmobile"]According to the BBC yesterday, a guy called Walliams (surely a misprint?) was so desperate to leave Britain that he swam across to Calais from Dover in near record time.

Patrick

[/quote]

Britain must have been so small for him! ... what with the size of his friend the only gay in the village! [:-))]

This little side line event will find it's way into their mad cap program...watch this space... However well done to him for raising that amount of money.