Revenu de Solidarité Active (rsa payments)

steve

I'll make two points - briefly!

France is regional. Very regional. We all know that. One person's experiences in Rhone-Alpes is exactly that and can be compared and contrasted to someone else's equally valid and correct but different experiences in Normandy or (friends') in Picardie. Neither set of experiences is right or wrong for France, just correct for the bits of France involved.

[quote user="idun"]The comptables would have had their money and I doubt would have been bothered about our petit problemes, which to us, were real problems.[/quote]

And we have good accountants who, when we received a completely unwarranted and out of the blue demand for 10,000+ euros unpaid cotisations and fines earlier this year, had it sorted within 24 hours and an apology to us from RSI.

Life anywhere but probably particularly in France is not black and white. There are many shades of grey... quite possibly more than 50. [:D]

/ deviation... and I'm out [;-)]

[quote user="suein56"]They cannot prove residency until they have at least 1 years tax form filling under their belt.

Sue

[/quote]You prove residency by other means such as rental agreements or property purchase documents, tax d'habitation bills, EDF or phone bills.  You have to do this to prove you're resident after three months and you wouldn't have a tax return at that point.  In fact, even if you have more than five years worth of tax declarations, to prove that you have had a right to stay over the relevant period you still need to provide documentation like this to prove that you were truly and continually resident (otherwise someone could just submit tax declarations from a second home or leave for more than two years and come back, not admitting that they've been away).

Steve, as has been said, if you are 'inactive' you cannot claim RSA until you have been continually and legally resident here, that is have had the 'droit de sejour' for that period.  However, though you don't have to set up a business to be a landlord unless you have more than twenty odd thousand euros a year in rental income, I believe it is possible to do so.  So you could for instance set up an AE and pay the relevant percentage of your rental income in contributions, thus you are no longer inactive and the amount of income you have is no longer relevant for whether you have a right to stay.  If you have other property that you don't live in, an assumed amount of rental income will be taken into account as part of your resources when they process your claim, possibly even when the property is uninhabitable and unable to be let. 

I've never so far heard of anybody having to pay back RSA monies received, even if they own property and later sell it. 

I realise that the above isn't what some people want to hear but I believe it to be correct.

Found it and RSA is not recoverable http://www.social-sante.gouv.fr/informations-pratiques,89/fiches-pratiques,91/les-prestations-pour-les-personnes,1913/la-recuperation-des-prestations,12632.html

In any case, it says that those aids which are recoverable are not recoverable upon sale of a property that you owned when you claimed the aid because your heritage has not increased.