So can you detect a phishing email?

Spyder

• 1 month later...
Yet another phishing email to look out for particularly if you have a FREE account (I don't). Received 3 of them in the last few days:

Cher(ère) Freenaute,

Conformément à la facture n° 05-35542962, établie le 07 Décembre 2014

nous avons émis une demande de prélèvement auprès de votre établissement bancaire,

il semble que ce prélèvement ait été refusé par votre banque pour le

motif suivant : "Absence de provision ou provision insuffisante"

Afin de régulariser votre situation au plus vite auprès de nos services,

nous vous remercions de bien vouloir nous faire parvenir votre règlement :

- Par chèque, établi à l'ordre de Free Haut Débit (veuillez ne pas oublier de

mentionner le numéro de téléphone de la ligne concernée au dos du chèque),

à l'adresse suivante : Free Haut Débit 75371 PARIS CEDEX 08

- Par carte bancaire,directement en ligne à l'adresse suivante :

http://imp.free.fr/redirectid=8548952/login.pl?idcleint=****####&true&plat=666

This is a good site to find out if an email is a scam:

http://www.arnaques-internet.info/arnaque-6065.html

Well when I did it it said that only 2 and 7 were legitimate, I had marked them as "no answer" so only got 8 out of 10 but in my mind I got 10/10 for spotting all the phishing mails and leaving an open mind on the other 2, just because they werent phishing doesnt make them legitimate.

Every day now I have to block around 10 senders of spam/phishing/scam E-mails, I get at least as many phone calls of the same nature which I also block and that is despite already blocking with-held numbers.

Worryingly I am not getting nearly as many a day on my mobile, a  few texts, tha majority a recorded message asking you to press dièse or phone a number, many just ring 3 times and cut off intending for you to ring back through curiosity and get hit with a premium rate number, some have even managed to reduce the dialling time to get the phone to illuminate briefly but not ring yet regsister the missed call.

Yesterday I got a succession of calls from 0351 prefixes, I think they are the Microsoft Indian scam ones, when I picked up I remained silent as is my new strategy with all non French numbers and it cut off after 3 seconds without a message, 99% of the time this works, if you speak you get connected but often hear nothing but the call centre noise in the background, for the calls I didnt answer they cut off after 3 rings before my answerphone so may have been a ring back scam.

In any case looking at my phone log these numbers are not real numbers, they have just found a means to affiche a number, others will come up as "calling" or "123456789" to overcome the fact that I block with-held numbers, they also generate a different number each time to hamper you from blocking them as yesterday I had 0351560001 and 0351560099.

These scam calls have increased exponentially since starting my business and my home and mobile numbers being listed on the web.

I think there may be a way to block all numbers with a certain prefix so I will look into that.