A French view of the English economy.

NormanH

[quote user="idun"]Spyder, I speak and write franglais, being in the bilingual household I am in, we speak franglais all the time. Just because you don't like it, is your problem, as I'll not stop.

[/quote]

I am often guilty of the odd slip just like anyone who has lived here for some considerable time, it is unavoidable and that's fine as long as everyone you are "franglaising" to understand what you are on about. On a forum like this I would suggest that is highly unlikely and will more than likely put some people off from posting. Not everyone on this forum will speak French and why should they? The fact that almost all of the posts are in English should give you a clue to the purpose of the forum. There are a multitude of French forum which would probably suit your obvious need to prove your fluency.

I do try and in fact ignore 90% of your posts but sometimes have to read them for continuity.

I'd venture to suggest that it's this sort of gratuitous rudeness towards other posters which is more likely to deter new posters than the use of Franglais on what is, after all, a Francophile forum. And it seems only a very small leap of assumption to imagine that people interested in things French will have at least a passing interest, if not an actual familiarity, with the French language. Save, of course, that largish cohort who move there assuming that their every need will be met by French people who have helpfully acquainted themselves with, and achieved fluency in English.

There seems to have been an outbreak on here, in the past few days, of people who obviously didn't get what they wanted from Santa (or maybe even got too much of whT they wanted) and have come here much as the drunk hangs around outside the local pub, looking to start a fight over absolutely nothing.

Miettes! Sorry, crumbs!  There was me thinking that there was some sort of in-joke subtext running through this thread.  My mistake - I didn't realise it was just seasonally induced grumpiness.  I'm a relatively new poster and don't find a bit of franglais in the slightest bit off-putting.  In fact, it's quite inspiring because I just had to go and find the word for 'crumbs' with which to start this post.  Still, each to their own.  I'm off to watch Mapp & Lucia now, so 'au reservoir'!

There seems to have been an outbreak on here, in the past few days, of

people who obviously didn't get what they wanted from Santa (or maybe

even got too much of whT they wanted) and have come here much as the

drunk hangs around outside the local pub, looking to start a fight over

absolutely nothing.

Perhaps it is the result of the collapse of another place which was destroyed by precisely this sort of nastiness?

[quote user="vivienz"]Miettes! Sorry, crumbs!  There was me thinking that there was some sort of in-joke subtext running through this thread.  My mistake - I didn't realise it was just seasonally induced grumpiness.  I'm a relatively new poster and don't find a bit of franglais in the slightest bit off-putting.  In fact, it's quite inspiring because I just had to go and find the word for 'crumbs' with which to start this post.  Still, each to their own.  I'm off to watch Mapp & Lucia now, so 'au reservoir'!

[/quote]

[:D]vivienz, you now have a new word, although I'd have said 'mince' and not 'miettes', which I would only say in french for bread crumbs/rubbed in pastry etc.   http://www.wordreference.com/fren/mince   ...... another of those words with many meanings.

Years ago we saw a very funny sketch on french tv with two french people in a bar in London and not knowing the other was french and using french expressions translated directly into english. The one I remember best is 'are you a hammer or what!'. Hope that brings a smile to a few faces on here.

I've no intention of having an argument with anyone. If I had been so worried about wanting everyone to like me, I'd have stopped posting in around 2000. I may have my views on things, but so do those others who post and that is good. But I can also be rather helpful sometimes, I do know a lot of stuff, I know I don't know everything, but I do know an awful lot never the less.

[quote user="mint"]

It's just a quorum of two, isn't it?  To get an argument going?

[/quote]

Actually it only needs one  person to make and then keep an argument going ... think about it ... else why so many needs for peace keeping ..

Happy New Year, everyone, - and please - don't argue about that, as we all hope for the best whatever level of grumpiness we may feel at the mo!