Dopey Driver!

Andyphilpott

Just got back from our place in the Var and sorting out an insurance claim!!

Our house is 300 years old in the heart of the village and there is maybe 5 feet between our house and that across the way. Whilst we were out the driver of a large Renault (not from our village I might add) decided to reverse down the road past our house.

The Renault is several inches wider than the gap. He must have hit both sides with the rear of his car but did he then stop? No way. He kept reversing right up to just past his wing mirrors - I know that as they ended up torn off and on the ground. He then decided that it would be a good idea to go forward out of the gap.

Now we have tyre marks on our walls and our neighbours and my front step and letterbox are pretty bashed about - but probably not as much as his car!! Not sure if it was as dented and scratched before his little escapade but it sure is a wreck now.

He eventually managed to drive out of the gap, leaving various bits of his car behind, but punctured 2 tyres doing that. He replaced one but had to go off to the garage with the other. That was about when I returned!

I found the wreck up the road and was fairly amused until I saw the damage he had done to my wall! He had left the wheel nuts in what was left of his hub cap so I interned those immediately.

Half an hour later one rather embarassed chap turned up - he had come to the village for a job interview - probably not as a driving instructor though - and had not realised how narrow the gap was. Maybe he was deaf too. I don't think he realised how much damage he had caused to the houses and when I showed him and offered him the bits of his car from my step I think he got the picture. Once I had his insurance details and had checked them out I graciously released his wheel nuts and he went on his way.

No doubt it will be months before this is all sorted out. I have to say that my (house) insurers were excellent though - they will deal direct with his insurers so maybe, just once, it might go without a hitch!!

Andy

I was in a village with very narrow streets with someone in a Citroen who did something very similar.  I see the car and the person on my visits to France and it is still badly dented.

I really think these people should be made to sit their tests again.  I could have been killed.[:@]

As I have recently lost an eye I bought a sat-nav as it is no longer prudent to drive whilst trying to read a map or even road signs in bad visibility.

Today as often I let it choose the shortest route (which it never is because the mapping is so bad) but I do get to see some interesting little side roads through villages or often farmers access routes.

Today it commanded me to take a turning down what couldnt even be described as a footpath between two houses just as you described Andy, no doubt it was some ancient right of way still on the map that they had digitised.

I would agree about the dubious suitability of some routes given on the satnav - particularly in the South. We went down one on the way to Gigondas (where the wine comes from) which could not be safely negotiated at more than walking pace in anything less than a Landrover. Even being very careful Mrs Will's Alfa grounded in several places (it was fairly early in the morning, so the effect of tastings cannot be blamed). Yet nearer home there are plenty of perfectly good and legal, albeit narrow and communal rather than departmental responsibility, that the satnav has never been told about. I think if the Tomtom map share thing comes to France they will be overwhelmed with changes.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

I was in a village with very narrow streets with someone in a Citroen who did something very similar.  I see the car and the person on my visits to France and it is still badly dented.

I really think these people should be made to sit their tests again.  I could have been killed.[:@]

[/quote]

[Www]

Mine and Twinkles funniest driving moment was when I broke my arm and  she had to drive my RHD car in UK. She ended up stalling during the middle of a 39 point turn and we were laughing so much, each time we tried to get going the car just went mental and stalled again and again and things got worse and worse.  In the end, we had a queue on each side of us which set us off even more.

Pierre ZFP wrote the following post at 24/10/2007 14:21:

Are you sure he hadn't nicked the car?

I don't mean to scare you but surely no-one treats there own car like that?

Pierre - As far as I can tell many French drivers do treat their cars like that - you should see some of the wrecks driving round the village!

Yes it was his car - the police checked up on him (eventually!) but I had already done that by checking his papers myself and contacting the insurers before I released the hostage wheel nuts. And nobody who has stolen a car is going to be as embarrassed as that guy!

Andy

[quote user="J.R."]it is no longer prudent to drive whilst trying to read a map....[/quote]What on earth do you mean "NO LONGER PRUDENT", when was it ever thus.........[:-))]

Sounds about as prudent as messing with live ordnance I'd say JR old mate and we all know where that one led don't we !

Andyphilpott wrote :

he had come to the village for a job interview - probably not as a driving instructor though - and had not realised how narrow the gap was. Maybe he was deaf too

Maybe his stereo system was too loud, or has already deafened him

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...