£ to € exchange rate.

Tom 58

Well, Greece has defaulted on its debt repayment since 1826 every 36 years on average, so what the problem is I dont know. It happens once a generation, roughly. It is a habit.

And the Germans had half their debt forgiven in the 1950s (I think).

Kick Greece out of the euro until they have got it sorted then allow them back very, very, very slowly if need be.

And the euro will be better off, more stable.

Whatever happens, do not give them more money.

• 1 month later...
I must say that, having had to "draw in our horns" financially post 2009 and the consequent deliberate devaluation of the £ via QE and ZIRP, I'm getting a teeny delicious sense of well-being from these figures. Maybe trips to the restaurant can resume....!

Doesn't make up for the inflation in the meantime of course, but even that is now deliciously low. Governments inflating their way out of debt (?) - not at the moment...!

Sadly I doubt this more benign scenario will last, and I'm conscious that what for us is an improving situation will have others (converting from Euros to £) feeling less joyful.

Martin, I think you're anticipation of meals out is showing a tiny bit - delicious and deliciously! (I would put a smile, but it won't allow me to on my ipad - and I suppose there will be a load of gobbledygook for the same reason!). ;-)

My husband was very content this month about the UK pension that's paid in to our French bank account, helped make up for some of the worse times.

Edit: no gobbledygook and no double post - things are looking up!

Did a transfer (using Transferwise) the other day and got 1.3638 which was the best rate at the time. Quite pleased as I have been following the rate for a few weeks but today it is 1.378. I have no idea which way the euro/pound will go .....

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who doesn't budget for the worst case scenario is not using their noddle properly.

We have lived with so many ups and downs over the years. Recently we have had a good rate of exchange and it is 'nice' when it happens, but I never depended on it remaining, currently we don't, nothing for me to get upset about as at some point it was expected. When one has income from or property in another country, then best to be practical about it.

This might have somthing to do with it .

The Times Philip Aldrick Economics Editor

Published at 12:01AM, March 10 2015

The euro slipped to a seven-year low against the pound yesterday after eurozone central banks started to buy up sovereign debt in the markets as the currency bloc’s €1.1 trillion quantitative easing programme finally got under way.

Government borrowing costs fell and the single currency remained on course for parity with the dollar on the back of the European Central Bank’s last-ditch attempt to resurrect growth and stave off deflation.

Getting ready to transfer some money when it becomes 2 euros to the pound :)

When we bought in January 2007 we got 1.485 to the pound when we transferred the money for the purchase. Never thought it might get back there.