Re: Is it just me?

Weedon

Am I the only one that can't stand the wall to wall tennis.  I don't mind the game but it's all the other stuff that gets my goat.  What's all that Tourettes stuff from the women?  Why not wheel on porta potti's as well for the players whilst they carry out their ablutions.  And all that luggage they carry on, just for a couple of hours of knock-about.  It's more than I take for a fortnights holiday, and it definitely wouldn't get on a Ryanair flight. You will excuse me won't you whilst I have a bit of a chortle when Federer comes on looking like the dead one in "Randall and Hopkirk".[blink]

I'll join you.

When I was a schoolgirl (obviously ages ago) I used to listen avidly to Wimbledon on the radio (no TV for us) then dash out with my friends to practise.

But now it's too much much personality cult/celebrity influenced.

But I think I prefer it to the nonstop cricket that husband watches.

[quote user="Patf"]

I'll join you.

But I think I prefer it to the nonstop cricket that husband watches.

[/quote]

Now we are going to fall out with each other.  What could be better than listening to the sound of leather against willow (nothing to do with Max Moseley) following the cut and thrust of a 5 day Test Match between Engand and Australia.  Okay, granted a draw after 5 days can be a bit of an anti-climax, but during those 5 days you can get in some dozing, drinking beer and munching away at your cucumber sandwiches.  Have I sold it to you yet?  

Weedon,

How can you doze in the middle of a test match? It's nail biting before the toss, chess played over 5 days.[:D][:D][:D]

As for the tennis, yawn yawn, I couldn't believe it when they clapped the roof closing, unless of course it was because something did work at last unlike terminal 5.[6]

Charlie.

There is worse - just - than tennis GOLF! Followed by cricket and football.

So called horse racing is deadly boring and wouldn't even happen if it wasn't based on gambling.

I cannot believe they show such boring games that can only be interesting to those involved.

What's more they all seem to be sponsored by dodgy banks or my building society that doesn't even bother asking its members before it wastes millions.

Thankfully I am pretty far removed most of the time from the celebrity/popular media and only had one clue that perhaps Wimbledon had started, was it last week by any chance?

There is a tennis court behind my property that belongs to the social club of the factory opposite, it is hardly ever used maximum 2/3 times a year and it is usually a prelude to an outdoor  fête by the ados, there is not much tennis played and they drink whisky to refresh between games [:D]

However last week the court was used 3 times by couples that in part looked like they had at least some interest in the game other than drinking, is there/was there a significant French influence at Wimbledon this year? Has said person now been knocked out as it is all quiet once again on the western front, - not a pun, its where I live!

I too, loathe it with a passion. It's a childhood thing.

Wimbledon was always on the week before I was due to go away, with Mum & Dad on our annul family holiday. I was so excited coming home from school and counting down the days...........Here's the rub.

The BBC always used to drop Blue Peter in favour of the tennis........Result = One small 8 year old scared for life.

Well, I love it.  Thoughout the year there are lots of other wall-to-wall sporting events on TV - snooker, European Cup/World Cup football, European Various Cup football, Six Nations rugby, endless golf, horseracing, Forumula 1 stuff etc etc.

Don't get me started on b****y cricket on longwave..........

Wimbers is only on for two weeks then nothing is heard of tennis until the next year. 

PS  Federer for the Cup [:D]

[quote user="Thibault"]Well, I love it.  [/quote]

Me too! [:D]

[quote user="Thibault"]Don't get me started on b****y cricket on longwave..........[/quote]

Me too! [:@]

[quote user="Thibault"]Wimbers is only on for two weeks then nothing is heard of tennis until the next year.  [/quote]

That's not strictly true - at least this year. We had plenty of coverage from Roland Garros and Queens. [:D]

[quote user="Thibault"]PS  Federer for the Cup [:D][/quote]

Yes. Such a nice guy too...[:D]

Thank heavens for TMS on Radio 4 LW.

Can't get enough of it!!!

The Ashes starts soon, we'll show those overblown Aussies a thing or 2, they'll be out of condition after being knocked out of the 20Twenty first round and spending weeks in Leicester eating curries  [:P]

[quote user="Thibault"]Wimbers is only on for two weeks then nothing is heard of tennis until the next year.  [/quote]

Thank God........................By the way it was scarred, sorry, bludy spilchucker.

Hi  - I lived in Wimbledon for years and worked up at The Castle in the village, now I just hate the game - mainly because we could never park anywhere and all the pubs ran dry - so for locals, we all went on holiday if we could!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Thank heavens for TMS on Radio 4 LW.

Can't get enough of it!!!

The Ashes starts soon, we'll show those overblown Aussies a thing or 2, they'll be out of condition after being knocked out of the 20Twenty first round and spending weeks in Leicester eating curries  [:P]

[/quote]

Live cricket Pierre   http://sportsdesi.co.nr/

I posted something about this site some days ago Pierre but didn't get much feedback (if any) about its safety.  I haven't registered on it or anything like that I just look at it occasionally to see if there is any sport playing that I like.  For example, tonight there is athletics from Oslo (I believe), plus there is one day cricket starting at 15:00 I think.